View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2006, 09:54 PM

can we not breed dogs to be born with no tails???

i was just wondering could we not start a breeding program to breed certain breeds to be born with no tails
i.e the british bull dog has achived that,as all pedigree dogs are manmade why not start to breed them with no tails as i remeber a artical some time ago they tried it with boxers they crossed them with corgies and they did get puppies with no tails or half tails
i know this can be achived with bullmastiffs as if they were crossed with a british you will get most born with no tails
i know that this will mean crossing lots of breeds to acive this goal .but we had to do that to get most of todays breeds , if they selected certain docked breeds and carefully bred them i think we could achive this goal then docking would not be a problam imo
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Sorry! Don't agree with cross breeding for that kind of thing, JMO Dogs should be left the way they are as they are just gorgeous as they are
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
ith bullmastiffs as if they were crossed with a british you will get most born with no tails
But why would you want to do it to a Bullmastiff?
They don't have docked tails....

Bullmastiffs 'come' from Bulldogs anyway, and they always have long tails....also why breed tham back with something that will create more problems?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2006, 10:43 AM
The experament has already been done in Boxers (Bobtail)
by Bruce Catanach (Steynmere Boxers)

He used a Corgi many yrs ago to which has resulted in the Bobtail Boxer of today........although I have to say many people are not a fan.

http://www.steynmere.com/index.html
cuzbull
Dogsey Junior

11-12-2006, 03:02 PM
i was just wondering could we not start a breeding program to breed certain breeds to be born with no tails
i.e the british bull dog has achived that,

Bulldogs do have tails, it's just that some are born with straight ones others have screw tails, bun tails, gay tails, spike tails and others, but they are born with tails (and are not docked).
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
think thats seems fair enough, all dogs are bred from something somewhere else. And it would get round the whole docking ban thing
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Personally I feel there are enough existing serious health problems in so many breeds that to start breeding for this `look` would just add to them by breeders losing focus on the already prevalent problems. How about breeders fixing those already man-made problems rather than risk creating even more health issues just because some people prefer the bit of spine that would be missing to the actual dog itself !
Its the dogs which matter, not human stubborness and desperation to `beat the system`
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Personally I feel there are enough existing serious health problems in so many breeds that to start breeding for this `look` would just add to them by breeders losing focus on the already prevalent problems. How about breeders fixing those already man-made problems rather than risk creating even more health issues just because some people prefer the bit of spine that would be missing to the actual dog itself !
Its the dogs which matter, not human stubborness and desperation to `beat the system`
Very well said :smt023
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Does the fact a Dog does or does not have a tail really matter that much

Why Breed more cross breed Dog just to get a dog without a Tail.
There is already enough Dogs being put Down in this country now Due too irresponsible breeding and more breeding just to achieve this is very sad IMO
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Doggydina View Post
Sorry! Don't agree with cross breeding for that kind of thing, JMO Dogs should be left the way they are as they are just gorgeous as they are
but if we all thought like that non of the breeds we have today would exist?

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
But why would you want to do it to a Bullmastiff?
They don't have docked tails....

Bullmastiffs 'come' from Bulldogs anyway, and they always have long tails....also why breed tham back with something that will create more problems?
sorry i didnt mean it that way i was using it as a example

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The experament has already been done in Boxers (Bobtail)
by Bruce Catanach (Steynmere Boxers)

He used a Corgi many yrs ago to which has resulted in the Bobtail Boxer of today........although I have to say many people are not a fan.

http://www.steynmere.com/index.html
yes i have seen that and siad that in my orignal question if that can be achived why not do it with other breeds ?

Originally Posted by cuzbull View Post
i.e the british bull dog has achived that,

Bulldogs do have tails, it's just that some are born with straight ones others have screw tails, bun tails, gay tails, spike tails and others, but they are born with tails (and are not docked).
yes but origanly they all had tails and from slected breeding they have gone to half tail to no tail

and this is what i am trying to breed a breed so you dont have to dock

Originally Posted by Patch View Post
no matter how much we try and improve our breed it will suffer from certain health problams and will get new health problams some times we have to out cross to get rid of problams please look at the wider picture thanks

Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Does the fact a Dog does or does not have a tail really matter that much

Why Breed more cross breed Dog just to get a dog without a Tail.
There is already enough Dogs being put Down in this country now Due too irresponsible breeding and more breeding just to achieve this is very sad IMO
yes true but some ppl prefer a breed to have no tail and have been bred like that for generations i see you own a non-docked breed but would your answer be the same if you owned a docked breed
and as for rescue dogs that will allways exist it is a shame but even dogs from responsible breeders end up in rescue homes
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »