View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
It's been going on for many years Ben, not just in Boxers, when I was Showing, it went on and I was told then it was ok so long as you were careful and knew what you were doing
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I have heard of this before Sharon, it was long before it all came out about JKD , a young dog around 18 months who was diagnosed literally weeks before being PTS. Long long time ago, it does make you wkmder

Good to see you on Dogsey (Helen)

Jet was diagnosed about 3 weeks before he was pts.

I'll never forget how fast he deteriorated, from the day he had blood taken for testing, to the day we got the results (4/5 days) he went from having slight weight loss and being picky with food, to the only signs of life being breathing and blinking.

The week he was admitted to the vets, 2 more relatively young dogs were pts for the same thing.

These were labs not boxers though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Hi Sharon and welcome aboard.
Please don't judge us too harshly. We are all passionate about dogs on here and it's natural that anything that concerns them is discussed. It is, after all, what dog forums are all about - discussing all things dogs.

I'm pretty sure that you would have realised that the programme would cause a stir when you agreed to appear and, rightly or wrongly, you are going to see many similar discussions on dog forums across the web for a while yet.

Similarly, just as the programme is discussed, so are the subsequent statements given by those mentioned in it - just as the statements from the CKCS Breed Club were discussed after the first show and the statements put out by Margaret Carter.

It's a pity that the programme makers didn't foresee what would happen after the show. If they had included ALL the information in respect of your girls very tragic end, they would probably have saved you from a lot more distress and anger.

I'm sure I speak for the majority on here when I say that as people who are passionate about dogs, we all felt your pain when we watched the show and I doubt there were many of us with dry eyes after watching your distress.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by mcrobs View Post
Sorry, Hi I am Sharon, who appeared on the programme with the bitch that died, who "yes" was in whelp and died , but she was never diagnosed until the day of her section, I have never before felt the pain I felt that day and the day she was put to sleep. And to hear all this being said, is so sad and hurtful, I only want to help this beautiful breed
So did she not have symptoms or anything. I am sad to hear about your girl but find it strange she was diagnosed on day of section as my Vets do not do bloods etc.. routinately at a section
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
So did she not have symptoms or anything. I am sad to hear about your girl but find it strange she was diagnosed on day of section as my Vets do not do bloods etc.. routinately at a section
Some of them don't Have symptoms - if you read up on the symptoms & cases you will see with some young dogs it strikes suddenly & they die very quickly. It is a dreadful disease. Also dogs with renal disease are at very high risk during anaesthetic due to high blood pressure.

Have a look at this link

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0118.htm
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Madge was maybe a bit slight, but having not been in the breed for that long, the general advice was to take a litter, she was also a kennel dog, hence if she was drinking excessively we never noticed it.

In the letter that my vet has given me as proof for her diagnosis, it quotes "a blood sample was taken for Biochemistry.This was not at that time a routine procedure at Cesarian due to the urgent and inevitable nature of the operation. I would now do so in all young boxers!!.............I diagnosed Juvenile Nephrophany (JKD/JRD all the same), a condition purely on clinical experience - I felt was present in the breed."

Sharon
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 08:52 AM
When my dog had kidney disease he didn't present symptoms until he was two and a half. We had him for two months after his diagnosis. The dog learns to cope with feeling unwell - and as my vet said, if he's always been ill he feels normal. It's only when the condition deteriorates that you know all is not well, and the dog could have been used for breeding by then. I was asked many times by people to use my boy but as an unregistered dog I wouldn't have used him anyway.
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
When my dog had kidney disease he didn't present symptoms until he was two and a half. We had him for two months after his diagnosis. The dog learns to cope with feeling unwell - and as my vet said, if he's always been ill he feels normal. It's only when the condition deteriorates that you know all is not well, and the dog could have been used for breeding by then. I was asked many times by people to use my boy but as an unregistered dog I wouldn't have used him anyway.

Thanks for that info, it does seem to be very much what we are finding, diagnosis to death is a very short period of time, although unregistered, do you know his bloodlines ?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Hello Sharon, as a dog lover I would fight and stand up for anything that makes for better health and welfer of any dog, I am not breedist.

when anyone provids information I never take it as face value even if it is telling me what I want to hear. I question and question until I get all the descrepancies out.

You took part in a very high profil programe and one that is know for being a little heavy on the editing of any interview to get the message across that the program makers want to get across.

Now I have no sympathy for anyone who knowingly breeds from an unhealthy dog. I also believe we should be doing all the health tests available.

I feel for anyone who has lost a much loved pet.

This is the but. I also believe that people who don't know what they are doing should not be breeding at all.

Now threatening legal action for asking a question about something that is very much in the public domain comes across as bully boy tactics to me.
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Hello Sharon, as a dog lover I would fight and stand up for anything that makes for better health and welfer of any dog, I am not breedist.

when anyone provids information I never take it as face value even if it is telling me what I want to hear. I question and question until I get all the descrepancies out.

You took part in a very high profil programe and one that is know for being a little heavy on the editing of any interview to get the message across that the program makers want to get across.

Now I have no sympathy for anyone who knowingly breeds from an unhealthy dog. I also believe we should be doing all the health tests available.

I feel for anyone who has lost a much loved pet.

This is the but. I also believe that people who don't know what they are doing should not be breeding at all.

Now threatening legal action for asking a question about something that is very much in the public domain comes across as bully boy tactics to me.
I do understand where you are coming from, I was so upset last night, reading what was infront of me and did go on in a further post to appologise,

but dont you feel that yes I was niave in the beginning, and should I not have been guided by the stud dog owner
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »