View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
And also of course many reputable breeders like to keep money in the bank in case any of the pups bounce, which may mean picking dog up, giving it bed and board and re advertising for new home etc etc etc. Owners of sire and dam will often insist on having dogs back to rehome.

Not to mention those with numerous dogs cannot afford the insurance for all so will keep some aside for vets bills.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
You'd be better limitting number of litters sold a year. Basically outlaw puppy farming no?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
see, from the other angle.

£150 to buy a pup/£200 for a rescue isnt that much. Its pennies to a lot of people. So you are going to make dogs even more throwaway than they seem to be atm.

Money doesnt seem to stop people "getting bored" with any pet. Be it dog cat or python.

I think that a dog ownership test is probably the best way forward, and breeders to be accountable for their puppies (I know most good breeders are, same as most good breeders health test) but if the byb had to take back an out of control 2yo, they they might think 2x about breeding in the first place.
Excellent post.
Some of the people who buy dogs as an accessory will see it as changing a handbag at the price of £150(and yes unfortuntely is does happen!). I had an enquiry for a pup a couple of years ago who tried to barter me down on the price when i explained I dont negotiate (well not for him ) he said oh I'll go get another rescue then see how that goes implying he bought cheap and when the novelty faded he got shut.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well if you take Pebbles last litter, we paid £300 for the stud fee, £460 for the cesar she needed as she had inertia, the puppy died at a day old, and Pebbles needed several weeks of treatment afterwards. She was also spayed at the same time as the cesar. (inc in price) So let me think where that £150 went!
Is Pebbles your dog?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The £150 that you didnt even get because you had no puppy to sell..
Thats right----nor did Tassle. I don't think Dawn had to do health tests either as Borders don't need them----assuming it is border ?

Part and parcel of a hobby.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Basics based on a healthy litter of 7 anbd keeping 2 which is what we usually do.
Health tests £220.00
Stud Feed £600.00
Petrol for 4 matings £160.00
puppy food for mum £120.00 (at least)
Puppy Porridge £88.00
Vets £140.00 (providing all ok)
Puppy food £160.00 (again at least)
Vacc £280.00
Microchipping £150.00
Puppy pack and inst. £300.00 (approx)
Heat lamp £224.00 (£3 per day extra)
Vet beds £140.00 (new for each litter)
Extra Washing £100.00
Final Vet check £66.00
3 weeks off work £750
======
5 puppies at £150 750
Loss 2748

I had a singleton last year whos cost the following so far

Health test £220
Stud Fees £600
petrol £160
Food for mum £120
Puppy porridge £44
vets £295 (After hrs call out and scan)
puppy Food £44
vac £40
Microchip £20
Heat lamp £224
vet beds £140
Extra washing £100
2 week off work £750
=====
2278 (Loss)

If I sell 5 of the pups at £800 I make 4000
Which leaves a grand profit on one litter alone of £502 thats doesnt take into account the petrol to and from the vets twice, the sleepless nights, the heartbreak when something goes wrong and you lose a puppy, and as iv'e said most of the food costs is estimated. I suspect this litter will cost more as the're all little piggies
Thanks for that.

Weeks off work is interesting----surely it is holiday or can you just take it unpaid? Do health tests have to be done every time? I thought apart from eyes they were a one off?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
see, from the other angle.

£150 to buy a pup/£200 for a rescue isnt that much. Its pennies to a lot of people. So you are going to make dogs even more throwaway than they seem to be atm.

Money doesnt seem to stop people "getting bored" with any pet. Be it dog cat or python.

I think that a dog ownership test is probably the best way forward, and breeders to be accountable for their puppies (I know most good breeders are, same as most good breeders health test) but if the byb had to take back an out of control 2yo, they they might think 2x about breeding in the first place.
The general idea is that the true breed enthusiasts will carry on breeding for love of their breed and their hobby and it will not be viable for other backyard or puppy farmers to carry on making the amount they are now.

Not a perfect plan obviously but an idea

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
You'd be better limitting number of litters sold a year. Basically outlaw puppy farming no?
That would work as well maybe.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:10 PM

There is already an upper limit of 4 litters per bitch's lifetime for KC registration, nobody can control those who do not register their dogs.

there are laws which can be used to severely restrict puppy farming, once a farm has been found of course.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Thanks for that.

Weeks off work is interesting----surely it is holiday or can you just take it unpaid? Do health tests have to be done every time? I thought apart from eyes they were a one off?

rune
Both were two seperate novice bitches if I subsequently remate either the health checks wont be counted again.
Im a self employed dog groomer so If I dont work I dont earn and I never leave the pippies alone until their eyes are open and there on their feet, also there's no way I'd be grooming dogs with a litter at home you never know Ive had dogs in with fleas and allsorts hence the 3 weeks off.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »