View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Well for most of us, who are not independently wealthy why would we not participate in a hobby for free rather than pay for it?

Not having the perspicacity to make the best use of your finances is the fault of the individual.

We all have to think about tomorrow and put money aside for a rainy day.

There is no "honour" in spending a lot of money on something if you do not have to surely?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
But she then didnt get to the traveling and paying for a stud, paying for one or more scans, paying for vet checks while carrying, caring for her correctly while in pup ie upping foods, vet checks after little is born on dam and the litter - pay any medical treatment needed. She would have also had to buy all her whelping equipement, whelping boxes, play pens, heat pads.. Equipment for hand rearing ect..
Raising a litter is not cheap ect ect ect... You could spend every last penny on your litter there is always something.
Er----yes she did---she also got to staying away for several nights. Here to the midlands is a lot of petrol!

Do you NEED scans or are they just for information?

Upping foods and feeding pups would be covered by the £150 per pup---or it ought to be unless you are feeding them gold leaf!

Equipment IMO comes under the 'hobby' bracket. As would agility equipment etc.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well for most of us, who are not independently wealthy why would we not participate in a hobby for free rather than pay for it?

Not having the perspicacity to make the best use of your finances is the fault of the individual.

We all have to think about tomorrow and put money aside for a rainy day.

There is no "honour" in spending a lot of money on something if you do not have to surely?
No 'honour', you can just choose not to do it if you can't afford it.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Er----yes she did---she also got to staying away for several nights. Here to the midlands is a lot of petrol!

Do you NEED scans or are they just for information?

Upping foods and feeding pups would be covered by the £150 per pup---or it ought to be unless you are feeding them gold leaf!

Equipment IMO comes under the 'hobby' bracket. As would agility equipment etc.

rune
well my mistake I was not aware that she had made it to the mating part, just recently saw she had sadly been spayed.
whelping equipmet would not to me be classed the same as agility equipment. Whelping stuff is 'needed' to ensure you have a safe, comfortable delivery for your dog - I wonder how many people dont bother and use a bog standard cage/paper box.

Yes you do need scans in my opinion. You need to know how many she is carrying, Its possible she could be carrying a single pup so you defo need to prepared.

Our puppies are fed gold leaf But seriously how much is this £150 meant to cover. If our latest pup went for the suggested £150 mum would have made a loss of well over £1000 - Ok her aim wasnt to breed and make money and the moneys nothing to the amount of heart ache the litter caused but if that was the case to be with all/most litters we certainly could not afford to carry on - at least while doing things in a responsible/ethical manner. How ever the back yard breeders could still afford it !!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
You can choose to do overtime to afford somethings in life.
You can choose to do two jobs to afford somethings in life.
You can choose to charge what you think is the going rate for something others want in order to afford somethings in life.

Some people live in the REAL world...........

Most of the people I know have to finance their hobbies, lives, bills etc somehow.

As long as you are not breaking the law, there is no issue
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
well my mistake I was not aware that she had made it to the mating part, just recently saw she had sadly been spayed.
whelping equipmet would not to me be classed the same as agility equipment. Whelping stuff is 'needed' to ensure you have a safe, comfortable delivery for your dog - I wonder how many people dont bother and use a bog standard cage/paper box.

Yes you do need scans in my opinion. You need to know how many she is carrying, Its possible she could be carrying a single pup so you defo need to prepared.

Our puppies are fed gold leaf But seriously how much is this £150 meant to cover. If our latest pup went for the suggested £150 mum would have made a loss of well over £1000 - Ok her aim wasnt to breed and make money and the moneys nothing to the amount of heart ache the litter caused but if that was the case to be with all/most litters we certainly could not afford to carry on - at least while doing things in a responsible/ethical manner. How ever the back yard breeders could still afford it !!
Well if you take Pebbles last litter, we paid £300 for the stud fee, £460 for the cesar she needed as she had inertia, the puppy died at a day old, and Pebbles needed several weeks of treatment afterwards. She was also spayed at the same time as the cesar. (inc in price) So let me think where that £150 went!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Some people have very little disposable income, so they create some, however they do it, as long as they do it ethically, legally I can see no reason why ANYONE could reasonably object to this?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well if you take Pebbles last litter, we paid £300 for the stud fee, £460 for the cesar she needed as she had inertia, the puppy died at a day old, and Pebbles needed several weeks of treatment afterwards. She was also spayed at the same time as the cesar. (inc in price) So let me think where that £150 went!
The £150 that you didnt even get because you had no puppy to sell..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
On another but related point, I just wondered, out of curiosity, whether there are any breeders here who do actually make a profit? I have no gripes if you do, nor would that make me think that profit is your prime motive for breeding ~ I just wondered if profits can be made by reputable & responsible breeders, or is it always a case that a litter of pups costs more than the income from selling them?

(Puppy farms, BYBs & iresponsible breeders not included!).
I would like to know the answer to this too (and should probably continue to read the thread before replying ) as I actually think that most breeders must make some sort of profit, especially when you think of a large litter of, say, GSDs being sold for around £800 a pup.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
The £150 that you didnt even get because you had no puppy to sell..
Yes thats the one!
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »