Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Flyball dilemma

I'm not sure whether to carry on doing Flyball with Max

I've enjoyed our summer training but it's been a very difficult slog.

Max has no drive to go and get the ball. He'll run up and down the lanes like a greyhound, but the whole fetching the ball idea eludes him. We've trained a good retrieve in the garden and out on walks, but he loses it when we go to Flyball. It doesn't seem to matter whether the ball is in the box, on the floor, in my hand or a trainers hand - he doesn't want to go and get it.

Also, I can't get him "wound up" enough... sounds silly, especially since he's a Boxer! You'll have seen on TV the state of the dogs waiting to run. That's what you've got to aim for. Max generally couldn't care less. He just stands waiting for his turn, whilst all around are hyper dogs, gagging for their turn on the lane (only 1 collie in the class).

Most of the people we started training with are ready to start competing in the starter competitions, but as far as I (and 2 of the trainers can see) Max hasn't got the spark for it.

I've got 3 more classes (paid for) to attend before I have to make the decision whether to carry on with the winter training and I'm not sure what to do.

The classes aren't as fun for me anymore, as I'm trying desperately to get Max to do the tasks and he's not really interested.

I'm not sure whether to put my name down for an agility class (6 months waiting list in my area) and see how he does with that, as he's done most of the equipment before and it's something different for his mind to think about.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I think you already know the answer hun.
If you are getting frustrated and demoralised then he will pick up on that and it will become a chore to him as well.
It could be that he is so desperate to please you that he does the running up and down, knowing that bits what you want but can`t focus enough on the rest in his efforts to please.
Or it might simply just not be his `thing`.

He might well be suited to agility better because it will give him the jumping and other obstacles to do without the ball fetching side :smt001

I am an agility instructor myself but not all my dogs do agility - I won`t push any of them to do something they are just not interested in, or if there is something about it one or other loves but does`nt like other bits of it I`m happy for them to just do the parts they get something out of, so long as they are getting to do `something` to enjoy which keep their minds active thats what matters to me.

So I would do the last three weeks but take the pressure off yourself and him, just enjoy the element he does happily and give him a break from the not so good aspect. If you do agility it might spark that `edge` in him for doing an activity and you might well find that if you keep working on the retrieve as a separate fun thing that he might just `click` so you can always try again later on
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 05:39 PM
i agree, if he loves the jumping but not the ball ,then agility sounds the perfect answer to me! go for it!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 09:22 PM
hello
interested in what you just writen ,about your boxer ,we just returned from our very first lesson 10 wk training ,we have two collie dylan loved it took to it ,straight away ,yet willow was the same as your boxer ,she may well be the same after so many weeks have to wait and see . she run over the jumps ,but had no interest in the ball at all ,yet she loves ball on a rope ,she is a rescue ,we had her year september , she nervous of people ,thought it may be strangers round her .have to wait and see .
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
hello
interested in what you just writen ,about your boxer ,we just returned from our very first lesson 10 wk training ,we have two collie dylan loved it took to it ,straight away ,yet willow was the same as your boxer ,she may well be the same after so many weeks have to wait and see . she run over the jumps ,but had no interest in the ball at all ,yet she loves ball on a rope ,she is a rescue ,we had her year september , she nervous of people ,thought it may be strangers round her .have to wait and see .
Weird, isn't it!

Max will fetch a ball, or get a "dead" ball from the garden or the beach as many times as I want him to.... ask him to do the same at Flyball and he looks at me like he's never seen a tennis ball in his life!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Could it be the ball coming towards him rather than him going to get it that he doesn't really get?

Have you tried playing catch with him facing you? If you have just ignore me Also does the box make a noise as it operates that he might not like?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Have you thought about Working Trials if you think flyball is not for you. you can combine agility with retieving and introduce him to searching and tracking.

Jeanette
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Could it be the ball coming towards him rather than him going to get it that he doesn't really get?

Have you tried playing catch with him facing you? If you have just ignore me Also does the box make a noise as it operates that he might not like?
Hi Cava

Yes, he'll "catch" facing us with no problem!

The box makes a bit of a noise, but Max won't even take a ball out of anyone's hand or off the floor at class. We've tried bringing his own balls, using squeaky toys etc.... humph!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Have you thought about Working Trials if you think flyball is not for you. you can combine agility with retieving and introduce him to searching and tracking.

Jeanette
Would they let a Boxer do working trials?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 08:36 AM
I think he'd be better suited to agility, he clearly loves the jumping bit and agility will give him that. I use a rabbit skin to get Wilson going as his reward (works better than sausage lol!) and Wilson is getting there really quickly.
I think you already know the answer!
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >