Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 11:44 PM

remedies for ailments

don't know if this is possible, don't think it has been done before but i wondered if we could start a thread with helpful advice, remedies that are tried and tested for basic ailments and general care for dogs. Thought it could turn out to be an excellent reference in the future.

For example:

ideas for flea control
I use a garlic capsule a day (my friend has done this and she owns 5 newfoundlands and has never had fleas.

If my dog has a bit of a rash, or slight graze or anything minor i use sudocrem as it puts a good barrier and is antiseptic - can be purchased from any chemist.

can anyone else add any other things that might be useful, maybe for minor ear problems. It would also be good if we knew where we can get products from. Anything that might be helpful in caring for your dogs.

Also if somebody knows what a dogs temperature would be when normal that might be useful.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I use paedetric Kaolin for a mild upset tummy
Thornit for ear probs
piriton for allergies or stings
sealegs or phenergan for car sickness
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I use paedetric Kaolin for a mild upset tummy
Thornit for ear probs
piriton for allergies or stings
sealegs or phenergan for car sickness
are these things that you can buy from a chemist as i have only ever hear of piriton, or is it something that you would buy from a pet shop?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 12:03 AM
All are chemists....just dont mention dogs or they wont selll them.
sealegs are a travel sickness pill
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 12:04 AM
thornit from dog shows or online
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 12:21 AM
It could be a very useful thread but I think it must be said that for anyone inexperienced, a vet should always be consulted for injuries or illnesses requiring treatment.
Some products made for humans certainly can be used on animals however dosages and suitability should be approved by a vet first.
It should be noted also that some animals have reactions to animal products / medications for which there are usually things to counteract a severe reaction but if a dog reacts badly to a non-animal product there may not be a readily available treatment so please bear this in mind - always check first.

It is also important to note that even qualified homeopaths etc can`t legally prescribe without a veterinary referal.

So, please bear in mind that products recommended for pets by word of mouth [ or posted anywhere ], should be cleared by a vet before use. [ imo ].

I often recommend Valerian but always with a disclaimer of a potential user getting vet approval first even though Valerian is readily available - any animal and any human can have unexpected reactions to things so one can never be too cautious even with products known to be extremely safe.

Thanks for reading.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I use Thornit for ear problems and ear plucking, I use tea tree lotions and sprays for cuts and stings/rashes etc.
Becky
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Swear by garlic, great all rounder, great for ridding worms and fleas, to rid worms, give garlic capsule and also add plain coconut to the main meal.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 09:18 AM
oh and manuka honey for tummy upsets cuts and so on, great for humans too, slightly expensive but i guarantee it works,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
It could be a very useful thread but I think it must be said that for anyone inexperienced, a vet should always be consulted for injuries or illnesses requiring treatment.
Some products made for humans certainly can be used on animals however dosages and suitability should be approved by a vet first.
It should be noted also that some animals have reactions to animal products / medications for which there are usually things to counteract a severe reaction but if a dog reacts badly to a non-animal product there may not be a readily available treatment so please bear this in mind - always check first.

It is also important to note that even qualified homeopaths etc can`t legally prescribe without a veterinary referal.

So, please bear in mind that products recommended for pets by word of mouth [ or posted anywhere ], should be cleared by a vet before use. [ imo ].

I often recommend Valerian but always with a disclaimer of a potential user getting vet approval first even though Valerian is readily available - any animal and any human can have unexpected reactions to things so one can never be too cautious even with products known to be extremely safe.

Thanks for reading.
Sorry to put a damper on your well intentioned thread Sheba but I echo Patches good advice..
Many inexperienced dog owners read the forum and as each dog varies I think every problem should be evaluated individually because a vets consultation may be necessary.

Sometimes by applying pills and potions seeking the correct advice is delayed.
I have seen a person put powder down a dogs ear when there was a foreign body inside the ear , this had caused an infection and the powder just added to the problem because it made it difficult for the vet to see inside the ear and delayed the person seeking the correct treatment , this resulted in unnecessary pain for the dog .

I never give human medication to a dog except on a vets instructions. The medication may not be compatible with other medications a dog may already be taking and also if there are any serious side effect the vet will be aware of them and of the appropriate antidote .

I would advise that everyone takes a moment each day to check their dog over from head to toe including looking in the ears/mouth/eyes, that way any little potential problems can be spotted before they become big ones.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >