View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-01-2007, 09:33 AM
we did ask them about this at the rescue centre but they didnt seem interested. to be honest the place didnt really fill me with a lot of confidence but it was the first rescue centre i had been to so didnt really know what to expect

for example there were a lot of things that i wasnt sure about but the main one was the fact that she was in with 4 other dogs that were clearly aggressive towards her and when we got her outside she was covered in scabs and fresh bite marks. when we asked about them the staff didnt even realise she had been bitten!!!!

we were just glad we got her out when we did and she has been spoiled everyday since then
Sprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I foster for a springer rescue. In the last 2 months we have had about 12 dogs come via dog pounds because they were strays, none were microchipped, no were claimed by an owner despite a nationwide and local appeals to where they were found. In one case 6 dogs were found dumped in two gardens. Why is it that dogs that are dumped are not microchipped!?!? I think the answer is because the owners can not be easily identified and have any come back on them.

All 12 dogs have been vacinated, neutered and now microchipped, wormed, flea'd and fed whilst in our care. We get on average £80 per dog in donations how on earth are we meant to make a "profit" on the dogs we rehome ...... most of the time we subsidise their care via fundraising. Microchipping these dogs means if ever they should stray again we can trace them and if the new owners have dumped them they can be returned to the rescue.

I know that microchips can migrate but anyone who is taught how to microchip is told to scan the whole body. Personally the risk of them migrating vs the risk of me losing my dog forever should it stray is worth it. Dog lost recently celebrate with an owner in the south that a dog was returned to it's original owner by a court of law thanks to a microchip. This means that in future the courts are more likely to see microchipping as a proof of ownership.

I do think dogs should be licensed, breeding of ALL dogs pedigree or not should be licensed. How to police it is the huge question.
mad4foxhounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dalmonda View Post
Thats interesting i would have thought it would help keep dogs out for rehoming centres......
not always the case people just dont reply to the letters or phone calls from shelters saying to owners that their pey was collected/handed in, a real shame.
i have also had first hand of aa local dog warden collecting a animal (they are ment to scan for chips too)
taking it to shelter than that dog being rehomed, taken to vets and was microchipped when vet scaned dog.
so there is always gaps in any system.
with my rescues (foxhounds) i castrate and spey all hounds that come through the door, mircochipped and vacc, only reason i do not cast or spey is health reason, ie heart problems too weak for g.a ect.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 01:28 AM
my dogs are michrochipped however i am not sure i have a lot of faith in the microchipping system
5 dogs in this pound are chipped and only 1 has been reclaimed

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/wirraldogs/DogsView.asp
i was thinking of having my dogs tattooed because of these homeless dogs
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:04 AM
All our dogs are chipped. All by same vets. Two have stayed insitue, one has migrated. I found a lump on side of the dogs neck near his ear. Guessed it might be the chip but needed to check it out as Boxers are prone to lumps & bumps etc. Yes, it was the chip. I will get them to check it again when he goes for his booster.

However i would rather my dogs were chipped than not.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4