Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-08-2006, 04:24 PM

calling all pat dogs!

i thought it may be a good idea to have a thread of all the pat dogs we own in their coats and a little about where they work as pat dogs.

toby works as a pat dog at a local nhs hospital on childrens cancer wards.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 06:16 AM
He's magnificent and such a gentle looking boy.

I think our dreams of doing PAT have gone down the drain. You never know, Takara might calm down when shes 10 or she might not.

She's only just learned that wheelchairs aren't going to come and eat her (thanks to a lovely man who fed her his entire sandwich from his wheelchair).

Well done for doing PAT - I wish we could but we can't even grasp a 'loose lead'!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 12:18 PM
He looks lovely in his coat!
I have the forms for my setters to become PAT dogs, but as usual havent got around to filling them in!

Dont know if there are any other PAT dogs on Dogsey?!
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Banjo went for the tests for being a PAT Dog, he passed all the tests then he suddenly decided that he really loved the assessor (who was a flyball instructor and running a class at the time of our test and one of the lady's taking part in the class outside, had a dog that had just finished a season) So we can only assume that Banjo could smell the bitch on the Assessor and so didn't pass Although she didn't fail him as in every other respect he passed with flying colours, we were told to go back to be re assessed six weeks later but never did
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 12:51 PM
well that would do it dip.........bless him he can't help it with the smell around, tob would have done the same.
you should go for it all of you theres nothing to lose.
i thought there was more than tob isn't kazz's girls working pat dogs?
i know staffy had jasper who was a worker as well.
i want to get hol assessed at some point but she needs to calm down more yet, she still gets ott with excitement some times.
although she would pass the tests it isn't fair for me to take her into a situtation where she gets ott so i haven't done anything yet.time will tell.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 01:06 PM
I think it's great the work you PAT people do. When Vienna is old enough and has a little more training under her belt i definitely want to put her forward for testing. She is so calm and gentle, especially around children i think she could do good. Will have to wait a while though because she isnt old enough yet.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 01:18 PM
they know whats expected of them and if you think she is calm now wait till she works they go to another level.
tob is calm but he know the kids he visits are different in some way it brings out a softer calmer dog all together.
on 1 visit a little boy walked toby from his wheelchair down to the main doors on our way out from the visit, through all the crowds etc and he stayed by his side all the way.
i was so pleased with him he has never been lead with a wheelchair or pushchair etc before but he kept back and turned ok.
the smile on his face because he had the lead was worth its weight in gold.
he got a extra goodie that day when we got home.

dip do you know theres only about 40 leo's that are registered pat dogs? you could add to the number
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Aw bless him. If Takara had been on the end of that lead, the little lad would've hit every wall going down the corridor and then got dragged down the stairs.

No, I'll have to wait a long time before Takara's calm enough to do it! (And wait for her to change breed!)
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2006, 01:48 PM
One of my basenjis is a PAT dog. She goes to a local residential home and also goes into schools to educate the kids. She loves het pat work especially with the kids. I would like to do it with her son but he doesn't have the same out gooing nature of his mum so wouldn't pass the test. I will try and get a picture of her in her jacket.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 01:58 PM
great its great feeling when they make other happy.
we have never done school's or old peoples homes etc although it is some thing i am considering for him.
he was placed at the hospital because of his size its an advantage cause they can intereact with him while in bed.
knowing tob if he visited our kids schools unless they are on the front row he won't notice them, but then again it could work out that my kids could show the others on him.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >