View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Never say never! I would hope and pray that I would never have to rehome a dog, but know that I can't predict what the future may hold.

Would it be better to keep a dog in a home where finances, health or anything else would mean that their needs could not be fully met, or to rehome to a good home where they were more than met.

When I injured my ankle I was extremely lucky to have my OH who took over my dog's care. Had he not done so, I couldn't have fed my dog, let alone give him the care he needs on a daily basis.

As said, never say never!
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2011, 01:46 PM
another very sad reason is.

we have to move and can't take the dog with us.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Excellent post Brierley

I suppose one thing that this post demonstrates is that some people have been very very lucky and never been put in between a rock and a hard place, such as your other half threatening to get rid of the dog whilst you are at work.............

so it means they have had very fortunate lives..........
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
another very sad reason is.

we have to move and can't take the dog with us.
See, I know that comes up a lot..but some cases are genuine! I have a friend who's hubby did the dirty, marital home was sold, and she and her kids had to move into private. They could only afford a small flat, and wouldnt have been fair for a huge bouncy Lab.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
See, I know that comes up a lot..but some cases are genuine! I have a friend who's hubby did the dirty, marital home was sold, and she and her kids had to move into private. They could only afford a small flat, and wouldnt have been fair for a huge bouncy Lab.
I DID SAY SAD
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I know...was just saying s'all
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys - there are some genuine, understandable reasons here where one might consider rehoming.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Also note that the homes I know who would look after my dogs (to a very high standard) if something was to happen to me would probably not take any more than two dogs as some have dogs of their own.

Another reason why I will not get a third dog. It's not worth the risk.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I would hope that I would never have to rehome any of my dogs, but you never know what's around the corner after all. I do have arrangements in place for all my dogs should I be unable to keep them. One of the benefits of buying from a responsible breeder is that you know if the worst happens they will take your dog back or find a suitable pet home.

I recently rehomed one of my cats, partly because he had adopted the couple over the road and they were moving, and partly because I had become allergic to him. I get regular updates and he's much happier in a dog free home now anyway.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I would hope that I would never have to rehome any of my dogs, but you never know what's around the corner after all. I do have arrangements in place for all my dogs should I be unable to keep them. One of the benefits of buying from a responsible breeder is that you know if the worst happens they will take your dog back or find a suitable pet home.

I recently rehomed one of my cats, partly because he had adopted the couple over the road and they were moving, and partly because I had become allergic to him. I get regular updates and he's much happier in a dog free home now anyway.
Same here. Though I would like my two to stay together so the homes I have will take them both no problem.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >