Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Treatment for Lungworm in dogs is one of 4 drugs
  1. Advocate (Imidacloprid/Moxidectin): Treat once (is a spot-on), re-examine 30dyas later and apply second treatment if necessary.
  2. Fenbendazole: 50 mg/kg PO for 7 days.
  3. Milbemycin oxime: 0.5 mg/kg PO
  4. Ivermectin: 0.2 mg/kg SC weekly for 2 weeks

Unfortunately some of these drugs can affect dogs that have the MDR-1 mutant gene & must be used with extreme caution on herding breeds(& certain other breeds) that have not been DNA tested for the mutation(this includes these breeds)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 06:13 PM
hi
when a dog comes into our surgery exhibiting these symptoms, we routinely treat them for lungworm at the same time to rule it out.
eta... vets in london are also starting to treat dogs with advocate prior to any surgery,as lungworm can also cause 'bleed outs'.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2009, 06:32 PM
oh Kelly I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for your precious boy. Don't be sorry for 'writing an essay', letting others know about your very tragic experience may help someone save their own dog. I have been aware of lungworm for some time, and with the increase of incidences I have decided to change from Frontline to Advocate.

((Hugs))
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by BulldogBuster View Post
Hi, I know that this thread is a few months old now but thought I should share something with you.

I bought my bulldog only 2 weeks ago from a couple who had to give him up due to work commitments. He was a beautiful pup at 12 weeks when we got him. We noticed that he wasn't as lively as other pups but being a bulldog we thought that this was normal!

Anyway, he was bleeding in his poo so took him to the vet who said it could've have been a no of things but was prob nothing to be too concerned over and see how he went. Three days later I noticed that one of his poos was riddled with worms - I took him to the vet who gave him a Milbemax tablet, an injection of Ketafen and a course of antibiotics. He came off the antibiotic on weds and seemed a lot perkier on weds and thurs.

However, on fri he was a lot more sullen and on saturday was worse and completely off his food. We got some more antibiotics but when we gave it to him I noticed that his gums were completely white. We rushed him to the vet who told us he was critical.

Unfortunately, my beautiful baby passed away yesterday aged just 14 weeks from septicemia brought on by suspected lungworms. I feel I did everything I can to help him but I feel that in the end his little body just couldn't cope. These lungworms are vicious and early detection really is vital. I took him to the vets 3 times in 2 weeks and even that couldn't save him.

I hope that others don't have to go what I'm going through at the moment because I have a void that can never be filled. Sorry for the essay. Kelly xxx
i too am so sorry for your loss he was loved and cared for, and you did all you could for him,his time with you will always be special,
(((hugs ))) to you from here.x
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3