View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bigbadbonzo
New Member!
Male 

30-03-2009, 07:45 PM
our 9 month gsd,bonzo,has suspected lungworm,due to his love of eating slugs and snails,yuk!!.the vet gave him advocate to treat it.he did not have a cough,but had a bad nose bleed for 2 days,which was most distressing for him and us.im from cornwall,and apparently the westcountry is a hot spot for lungworm.maybe the local press should warn people,what happened to carola sounds truely awful.hope the black poodle is feeling better.
Schip
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2009, 09:46 PM
One of my puppy buyers almost lost her bitch to lung worms about 5 yrs ago down in London. I too have a farming background and recognised her symptoms sending her a bottle of panacur to help control erradicat them.

Basically any grass area where slugs or snails roam after livestock of any kind has the potential to be infested all the dogs need to do is munch on a couple of snails or just the grass to become infected. From entrance into the body to migration and reproduction in the lungs is 28 days, then the coughing starts with most being diagnosed with KC, if I encounter a cough in my dogs I panacur for 7 days them as a precaution.

Panacur is safe used to dilute it the sheep strength from Vets for my parrots back in the 80's before they had a specific parrot wormer. Certainly appears to be spreading at an alarming rate over the last few years, hope the dogs recover ok.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I do think with the rise in incidences of lung worm/French heart worm that everybody should be using preventive wormer. as mentioned before advocate and Panacur both act against infestation though I believe they do not cover all worms, so other wormers have to be used in conjunction.
My local vet is now treating all dogs as a matter of course.
Carola
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Just a note to say that Jazzie, the Standard Poodle is so much better after her treatment with hardly any cough.

The vet gave her a 10 day treatment with Milbemax but she was still poorly. I then gave her a 7 day treatment with 10% Panacur (1ml per 2k) and she is so much better and about to have another 7 day dose to hopefully clear up the occasional cough. She has had this bad cough for years and each time been treated for kennel cough so be warned. Panacur is an excellent wormer (different percentage for livestock) but I have often used it on my sheep, and relatively harmless. She has gobbled it up in her food without complaint.

She has been on Drontal worming tablets since she was a puppy but I will always use Panacur now.

I wanted to attach a picture of Jazzie enjoying her first snow, but can't seem to work out how to do it!

Carola
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Hello fellow poodle lover! Glad to hear that Jazzie is doing well now. I find it best to alternate between the relevant wormers such as drontal, panacur and milbemax to provide greater protection and to prevent worms becoming immune to certain wormers which is a great risk if everyone uses the same one all the time.
I have to watch as one of my girls (Dolly) is a slug/snail eater.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by bigbadbonzo View Post
our 9 month gsd,bonzo,has suspected lungworm,due to his love of eating slugs and snails,yuk!!.the vet gave him advocate to treat it.he did not have a cough,but had a bad nose bleed for 2 days,which was most distressing for him and us.im from cornwall,and apparently the westcountry is a hot spot for lungworm.maybe the local press should warn people,what happened to carola sounds truely awful.hope the black poodle is feeling better.
By coincidence there is coverage of this in the this weeks, or last wks?? dog papers..

My vet aslo said that due to the increased numbers that are being seem.. they (vets") are about to have a nation wide campaign to inform people about "Lungworm"
Carola
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks Becky, Yes, I always rotate the wormers for my sheep (although I only have 5 pets now) so should do the same for the dog. We are rather addicted to our 'diva'. Pity I can't put a picture on here.

Carol
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know how old you all are, but I'm quite ancient And can remember that Panacur used to be the wormer of choice by vets, many years ago.
I wonder if the increase in incidence of lung worm is purely because vets have changed their preferred wormer
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
When Lexi was 5months old she developed a cough almost like a cat with a fur ball we took her to the vet who was a very young girl and she diagnosed lungworm and gave her Panacur she improved immediatley and has since had Milbemax every 3 months she is now coming 5 years old do you think any lasting harm has been done by the lungworms I would be grateful to know Lexi also was a deevil for slugs and snails as a pup luckily she grew out of it..
Hope Jazzie is now fine she has certainly been through the mill hasn't she and well donew to the lab for the transfusion..
Sue
BulldogBuster
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi, I know that this thread is a few months old now but thought I should share something with you.

I bought my bulldog only 2 weeks ago from a couple who had to give him up due to work commitments. He was a beautiful pup at 12 weeks when we got him. We noticed that he wasn't as lively as other pups but being a bulldog we thought that this was normal!

Anyway, he was bleeding in his poo so took him to the vet who said it could've have been a no of things but was prob nothing to be too concerned over and see how he went. Three days later I noticed that one of his poos was riddled with worms - I took him to the vet who gave him a Milbemax tablet, an injection of Ketafen and a course of antibiotics. He came off the antibiotic on weds and seemed a lot perkier on weds and thurs.

However, on fri he was a lot more sullen and on saturday was worse and completely off his food. We got some more antibiotics but when we gave it to him I noticed that his gums were completely white. We rushed him to the vet who told us he was critical.

Unfortunately, my beautiful baby passed away yesterday aged just 14 weeks from septicemia brought on by suspected lungworms. I feel I did everything I can to help him but I feel that in the end his little body just couldn't cope. These lungworms are vicious and early detection really is vital. I took him to the vets 3 times in 2 weeks and even that couldn't save him.

I hope that others don't have to go what I'm going through at the moment because I have a void that can never be filled. Sorry for the essay. Kelly xxx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >