Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
I think you mean Povodone Iodine, at least I hope you do. Pethidine is a strong analgesic, and a controlled drug.

I just picked up on that in case anyone should ask their vet for Pethidine.

Dawn R.

Hi Dawn,

I DO NOT mean Povodone Iodine, I meant EXACTLY what I said, Pethodine.

I have just checked on the bottle and that is EXACTLY what it was, some spell it pethodine, some spell it Pethidine.

I know it is a controlled drug, it is akin to Morphine and is sometimes used as a heroin substitute, as is methodone.

Therefore, if anyone askes their vet for Pethidine (Pethodine) they would be perfectly correct.

Whether the vet would give it to them is another matter.

When I post on these forums, I don't just wildly put things down without making sure that I have remembered the facts correctly.

Regards

Jill
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Jill, there is no need to be so aggressive. I apologise for being wrong. Sorry.

I'm a Registered Nurse of 31 years, so I also know what Pethidine is, I'm just surprised at the use of the drug in the way you described. I've only ever used Pethidine as an intravenous analgesic in human medicine.

Dawn R.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm a Registered Nurse of 31 years, so I also know what Pethidine is, I'm just surprised at the use of the drug in the way you described. I've only ever used Pethidine as an intravenous analgesic in human medicine.

Dawn R.
Well if you're wrong on this Dawn..so am I, as Pethidine is an opiate (and as you said a controlled drug) I can't see it's benefit or use in this way, only as an injectable or IV analgesic.

Just shows you learn something new everyday..although I'm keen to ask my vet about it now though as I don't understand how it would possibly work on the skin.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Dawn R.
Hi Dawn,

I'm not normally so aggressive and I know that you are a nurse, hence your user name.

I think it was the fact that your post made me sound like a complete idiot who didn't check my facts, which did annoy me.

I apologise for sounding huffy, but without making an argument out of this, because that is not what this forum is for, some of your posts that I have read, have been a little on the sharp side.

As I said, I'm not normally a rude and aggressive person, so lets call a truce and get back to normality.

" Radar (Jill) shakes hands with Nursey (Dawn) "

Regards

Jill
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I have worked in vet's surgeries for 24 years and I have never heard of Pethidine being used in this manner either. As said before Pethidine is a controlled drug, vets have to be able to account for each dose administered and a signed log book must be kept.

On the other hand Pevidine solution is an Iodine based antiseptic often used as a wash for treating wounds.

Jill, I am not saying you are wrong I'm just a little surprised that a vet would dispense Pethidine in this manner and I'm sure it would be illegal for them to do so. I know our practice certainly wouldn't supply it. I must ask my hubby if there have been any changes in the regulations.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
I have worked in vet's surgeries for 24 years and I have never heard of Pethidine being used in this manner either. As said before Pethidine is a controlled drug, vets have to be able to account for each dose administered and a signed log book must be kept.

On the other hand Pevidine solution is an Iodine based antiseptic often used as a wash for treating wounds.

Jill, I am not saying you are wrong I'm just a little surprised that a vet would dispense Pethidine in this manner and I'm sure it would be illegal for them to do so. I know our practice certainly wouldn't supply it. I must ask my hubby if there have been any changes in the regulations.

OK,

Please ask away, I wish I'd never mentioned anything now.

The whole reason I said it to Lottie, was that when Mick had the "hot-spot" on his head, that's what I was told and I didn't want the hibiscrub to sting Takara.

I know what I was told and I know what is on the label of the bottle, because I even got the magnifyng glass out this morning to check on it.

Pethidine (pethodine) or however it is spelt, is used for women in pregnancy, right or wrong ?

I'm cheesed off today, everything I've said today (in real life I mean) has been wrong, so I'm too weary to be bothered anymore.

This is meant to be a serious thread, not to score the upper hand.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
awww Jill, stop beating yourself up, I'm sure nobody intended to get at you, well, not on here anyway, maybe in real life you're having a bad day and took it the wrong way on here! Somebody loves you anyways!!

Lottie, have you got one of those boots from P @ H yet coz I think you'd be very wise to do so??? She can wear it when she's out, and that way, she'll be a lot safer from infection than going bare, or vetwrap or bandage, coz that gets all wet and it will soak through to the wound. Just while it's drying out and healing up I mean? Maybe you've gone to the vet today. I hope she's better anyway.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys,

I appreciate everyone's advice and never go to the vet and say 'give me such and such' anyway so I'd usually just say someone suggested...' and see what they said so don't worry Gill, I don't know what it's used for and am not too bothered because the vet has sorted us out

I took Takara today and the vet was quite shocked at how bad it was I didn't think it was all that bad, the poor spotty girl.

He said he would've stitched it on the day but it's started granulating so he's going to leave it. He's given us antibiotics and anti inflammatory pain killers and told us if it doesn't look a lot better in about 4 days, to go back.

I have to continue lifting Takara's front end up with her harness when we go out so she doesn't have to put weight on it and we are only to go out for wees and poos. No walks.

Thanks for the advice Helena - I'm not going to get one from pets at home as the vet said, and others have said too, that it'd be just as good to put some padding in the bottom of a long sock and put that on her. Apparently the boots aren't all that padded anyway. But the vet was more concerned about her pad going on the rough ground than anything going in it.

He's suggested not putting anything on it now because it'll just draw attention to it and she'll lick it.

So I'll just keep cleaning it when it looks a bit dirty and use the tablets we have.

She was very good, even while he was pushing and squeezing her foot she never once growled which I was quite surprised at as she doesn't really like strange men and she just stood licking me while he was prodding around.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm glad a vet has seen her now Lottie, and fingers x'd then for a quick recovery. Like I said, these things can be a nightmare if they get infected, I remember Steve with his Abe (rip) it went on for weeks on end. Good luck with her, shame about the walks though!
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears View Post
OK,

Please ask away, I wish I'd never mentioned anything now.

The whole reason I said it to Lottie, was that when Mick had the "hot-spot" on his head, that's what I was told and I didn't want the hibiscrub to sting Takara.

I know what I was told and I know what is on the label of the bottle, because I even got the magnifyng glass out this morning to check on it.

Pethidine (pethodine) or however it is spelt, is used for women in pregnancy, right or wrong ?

I'm cheesed off today, everything I've said today (in real life I mean) has been wrong, so I'm too weary to be bothered anymore.

This is meant to be a serious thread, not to score the upper hand.

In the past pethidine was used for pain relief during labour, when I had my son 10 years ago they used Diamorphine which, acording to the midwife, made the babies less sleepy than pethidine.

I don't think anyone is trying to earn "brownie points" here, I know I'm certainly not, but I must admit it does greatly concern me that a vet dispenses drugs of this manner for the purpose of bathing/cleaning hotspots/infected wounds. I feel that this itself is a very serious matter.

I'm glad Takara is ok and that there is no glass in the pad. We are seeing a lot of cut pads at the moment, I can only imagine that there is a lot of broken glass left lying around after the festive celebrations. I wish people would put their bottles in the bin in stead of breaking them in the street.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >