Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 07:41 AM

Am I old fashioned or just sensible?

This weekend I could have shown Diva at two shows where she was the only entry in her class, and it would gave given us some much-needed points. However, she is in season - days 10 and 12 when the shows were held - so she was left with a friend who has secure kennels (and bitches). At both shows, people were asking me why I hadn't brought her, as they would have shown a bitch in that condition especially as she was alone in her class - was it an "English" thing to leave them at home? (These were not exhibitors from my breed, by the way)
Am I being old fashioned or sensible? There is no way that I would have done it, to my mind no show result is worth risking annoyance to dog owners (which I would consider to be the height of bad manners at the very least) and possible infection to the bitch. Quite apart from travelling her in a car with Deccy who can be all-male when the mood takes him!
Whilst there is no rule about it that I can find, is it practise in other breeds? I am told that it is common in one particular breed in the UK but do they really mean they only do it on early or very late stages of the season?
Just interested in other's views re showing as I haven't had an entire bitch for years.
I will probably do the same next time round though....
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I would never take a bitch in season although have seen it lots of times.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't show, but in my opinion, I think you definately did the right thing, even if Diva was the only one in her class, I think it would have been a big distraction for any male dogs, and unfair on them as they probably wouldn't have been able to concentrate properly, but I may be wrong on that.

I know with agility shows that no bitch in heat is allowed at the showground, whether they compete or not.
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I haven't shown a bitch now for years either (about 13 I think) but personally I wouldn't take a bitch in season to a show. At the very least it is the height of bad manners imo.
How would those people with bitches who said they WOULD enter feel if they were showing a dog instead? And in the same ring that an in season bitch (at the height of her season as well ) had been in? I'll bet they wouldn't be so happy then!
Well done you for not taking your girl when the temptation must have been very great.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Not only have you shown consideration to others but also it may well have saved your girl the higher risk of getting an infection.

You actually hear of people taking mated bitches to shows and I can't understand what they are thinking of, even a chance of making a bitch up before the litter is born can't be worth the risk.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Not only have you shown consideration to others but also it may well have saved your girl the higher risk of getting an infection.

You actually hear of people taking mated bitches to shows and I can't understand what they are thinking of, even a chance of making a bitch up before the litter is born can't be worth the risk.
Some people just have rosettes in their eyes though and the dogs welfare unfortunately comes second to winning in some cases.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I think you did the right thing leaving her at home.

A friend in my breed left her bitch at home this weekend as she was in season - think it depends on whether you have consideration for others or not really - which you obviously do!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I would say sensible.

I would never take a bitch in season to a show. I think you were being really considerate to all those who have dogs and that you did the right thing.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for your opinions and support. I'll ignore the critics. I do know someone who does if it's a Champ show, so I suppose you will always get differences of opinion.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2008, 10:02 AM
You were very sensible not to take her.

I never show my bitch while she is in season though I have had people say to me you should of just shown her anyway
Luckily over here in Germany it is not allowed that you show a bitch in season and IMO it should be made a rule in the UK also.

You definatley did the right thing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >