Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Should I give Cornflakes for breakfast?

Cornflakes for Breakfast

From time to time one of our two seems to want something to eat in the morning. (OK I know most dogs will want to eat anytime )

Anyway, I warm up the milk a bit and feed the two of them. One is straight in, the other hangs back and doesn't seem so keen.

What's the general opinion of you guys? Is it good for dogs? Do any of you do the same thing?

All views accepted (If they are polite & written in a language I can understand )
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi
First of all, how old are your dogs? How many times a day do you feed them? Really, adult dogs should be on two meals per day, as one large meal could cause problems i.e. bloat.
Personally I wouldn't feed cornflakes or warm milk. My adults have two smaller meals as opposed to one large meal, breakfast and early evening.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 11:32 PM
My only concern is I have heard Cows milk is bad for dogs. I think goats milk is ok though?

Just found this on the vets website

"Dogs and cats do not have the proper enzymes to properly break down the sugar in milk which is called 'lactose.' You may have heard of people who are lactose-intolerant. They are also missing these digestive enzymes. If the proper enzymes are not present, the lactose remains undigested and tends to ferment in the intestine and cause diarrhea. Some pets can tolerate a little milk, others, none at all. If your pet enjoys and appears to tolerate milk, you can give your pet small amounts. Better yet, give your pet one of the special cat or dog milks on the market that have had the lactose removed."
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't give something like cornflakes as they are full of sugar and I wouldn't give a large quantity of dairy milk because of the lactose thing.

But I feed my dog more than once a day
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-01-2007, 11:53 PM
As said by the guys above, dogs cannot digest lactose so milk is a definate no no.

I also agree with not feeding cornflakes due to their high sugar content.

I give my dog some pure fruit juice though, only a tiny amount in his bowl - takes him ages getting the last lick It's organic and not from concentrate, without any additives etc.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2007, 05:47 AM
As has been said already... Milk is a no no.. cornflakes not sure I'd give that either... But if you want to give a "proper" breakfast.... Porridge, scrambled egg or an orange. My two love any of those things
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Agree witht he other, cows milk, cornflakes (any sugary cereal) is not good for them

if you will to fed them breakie, divide their dayly amount of food into 2 and give one in the morning one early evening.

All adult dogs should be feed twice a day.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 10:11 AM
My lot get fed twice a day. I soak their dried food in warm water so it is warm when they are eating it. I do give them it totally dry every now and then to help clean their teeth though.

Why not give them breakfast of their own food?

Helen
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Must say TOby loves a drink of milk, he licks his lips when he sees the bottle coming out of the fridge. Its only a small amount however, and he has never suffered any ill effects.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the above replies, it's really nice to get a broad spread of opinion, it's the reason I like the Dogsey forums We have two adult Newfoundland girls.

I think we'll go over to a regular 'two meals a day' routine, that seems to be universally recommended.

Also drop the cornflakes altogether and the milk.

Being stuck in Eastern Europe it's not easy to get advice from other owners and the breeders live a long way from us.

Oh yes Ian, porridge, (lovely jubly ) I like it too so I can just make an extra large dish and give some to the girls as well. (Make a mental note to buy 20 packets of 'Scots' on my next trip to UK Wonder if airport security will consider that a 'dangerous' substance )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >