Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Dogs settling down after a house move

We moved home about five weeks ago, how long does it usually take for dogs to settle down. We have bought all the dogs toys and bedding, and also they now get more walks than at the old place, although its now on the beach rather than across fields, but they still seem unsettled.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:06 PM
When we moved here, our dog then, Nippy, just could not settle she walked around and around in circles. I was really very concerned.
I tried to think of what she used to like in our old house.
She would lie for hours on our sons bed on an old throw, looking out of the window.
I found the old throw and put it on the bed in the front bedroom near the window and she settled immediately.
It may be coincidence but it worked
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Our first dog, Ben, went into a dreadful decline when we moved; so much so that we had to keep taking him to the vet for tranquilisers.

In the end, we solved it by bringing him up into our bedroom at night (initially because we were so worried about him) - it certainly did the trick but he never went back to sleeping downstairs! In fact he progressed very quickly from sleeping in his bed on the floor, to sleeping on our bed, and then sleeping IN our bed
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:32 PM
You may find that it is just one of the dogs who is more unsettled and the others are unsettled because of him/her. When we moved house with our last dog she too took ages to settle - I think she was just waiting to go 'home'. It took a good couple of months.

Good luck and I'm sure they will eventually settle.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, they just need more time i guess, its just when i take them out they run to the car and wait to be let in, we used ti holiday here a few times a year, and at the end of the week, we would get in the car and go home, they are still waiting to go home five weeks later, and as i said they are very unsettled through the day.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I have been very fortunate to not have had this issue. Maybe you can play fun games and fun trick training in the new house and yard to keep their minds off the move. I wonder if it's one of your dogs that is more stressed and causing the other to react the same way. How do they act stressed when separated?
I've heard thundershirts work for some dogs and alleviating stress, it may work in this instance too.

All the best
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2013, 03:59 AM
I have just moved (2 weeks ago tomorrow)and my 2 rescue greyhounds have found it very difficult and unsettling.
They had a couple of weeks of boxes being filled with all our belongings and then a horrific day when removal men took their home from under their noses, a 7 hour journey to new home and then another day of removal men filling their new home with boxes (boxes everywhere and I'm seeing them in my sleep!!)
They are pretty settled in their home and have their big beds in kitchen with me or come on sofa with us but it's outside I have trouble. they refuse to go for a walk and sometimes refuse to go into garden.
It's early days and hopefully they will settle soon but it must be a terrible upheaval for them and they don't understand what is going on. One of them had 8 different trainers in 5 months so she thinks we are just moving her on yet again!