Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jpower
New Member!
Male 

21-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Effect of holiday kennel on dogs

I am probably going to get a dog this year, but will wait until after the holiday season to avoid disruption to the dog's routine with us, whilst it is being established in the first couple of months, or so. I will also probably get a rescue dog, because I think that is the right thing to do (our previous dog, owned up to 1998, for 11 years from 1987, when the kids were young, was a rescue dog and was great).
So, we haven't owned a dog for quite a while now.
Postponing the acquisition of the dog until holidays are out of the way will give us 6-7 months of the dog and us getting into our routine. However, the next holiday period comes along and the probable temp accommodation for the dog would be boarding kennels. Is this very stressful/disruptive for the animal, or do they take it in their stride?
Also, how do you recognise a good kennels?
A bit long winded, sorry.
Jim
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Some dogs cope very well in kennels, some totally freak out.
I suppose it depends on the individual dog
My old Lucky used to go in boarding kennels no worries at all, but I know my spoiled little ones now wouldn't enjoy it haha

You could look into pet or house sitters? Either having someone come to your house to look after pooch, or sending him/her to their house for his/her own holiday!
Seems a bit nicer than having them in kennels, I think

Oh, and welcome!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Mine have never had any problems with boarding kennels (during or after) their stay.

We've had all our dogs from pups so it's something they've grown up with.

If you are getting an older rescue dog then it may or may not have been to kennels before. How has the dog got on whilst at the rescue kennels ?

In terms of considering a kennels - look for one which is part of a body (Kennel & Cattery Association etc) and visit them first. Check their opening hours - a good kennels will welcome an unannounced visit / inspection.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Some dogs cope better than others in kennels, but that`s something you wont know till you try it, mind if you are getting a dog from a rescue, they may be able to tell you how said dog coped in kennels.

Regards type of kennels, word of mouth is always the best way.

What I look for in a boarding kennel, is one that is not to big, the smaller the better for me, one that has some sort of exercise area, but it has to be safe and enclosed, I don`t want my dogs being let off in a field (some do) . even if they say it is fenced in.

I like a kennel where the dogs are not facing each other..i.e row down one side and row down the other facing each other, nor do I like the kennels to be in a barn to building that has no fresh air outlook.

They are just some of the things I look for, but you cant beat word of mouth.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 10:49 AM
My dogs are kenneled very seldom, I think it's only been a couple of times and only for one night. Either way, they all did fine even the one that is very fearful of strangers, which I was happily surprised with.

If you go with a rescue dog from a shelter, I am going to assume he/she will do fine being boarded if they were not stressed at the shelter. If you are wanting to adopt a dog through a rescue group, maybe you can ask specific question like is he/she crate trained, has he/she ever been boarded before and does he/she suffer from separation anxiety.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Some do cope.

I put Toffee in Kennels for 2wks this year & he lost 2kg which is a lot for a whippet. But with extra food he soon put it back on.

You will have plenty of time to ask if there is anyone near who has dogs in their home while owners are on holiday. Should you do this make sure you & your dog meet them before hand & ask all the plenty of questions.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Our dogs tend t holiday with us or go to a dog sitter. We once had to put our last rescue dog into a kennels as we were going to a wedding on the way back from holiday....never again! Although the kennels were nice, and he was only in them fir a very short space of time, when we picked him up he was white as a sheet, was in a panicked state and had had the runs.....probably due to the anxiety.

Rescue dogs often have some degree of anxiety so can find kennels harder....especially if they've come from a kennel environment.