Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 02:04 PM

What a Mess

Kyiro and Lily are booked to go back to the rescue kennels tomorrow morning because Kyiro really is so scared of fireworks he completely loses the plot and hyperventilates with just a little bang and living where I do we have huge ones going off constantly day and night every year so he can't cope at all.
However yesterday Kyiro started to limp in a back foot so I took him to the vets this morning and they have taken him in as they couldn'ty find anything just looking. He has had an x-ray and it shows something up in his pad. The vet said they would give him sedation and remove it. Unfortunatly I cannot afford the sedation as its going to be about £150 with treatment so far and x-ray and bandaging so they are going to try and do it without sedating him. I feel terrible for putting him through that pain but i had no choice. He is insured but they insist you pay when you colect the dog and claim afterwards. Last time I claimed for him it took 4 weeks to get the insurance form back to send.
Anyway I text the rescue kennel owner and told her Kyiro would be coming in with a bandage on his foot etc and she text back saying she would ring me later (she was in hairdressers) as they don't know if they can take him because of keeping the foot dry and treated etc. They take the rescue dogs back for holidays as a favour to owners and so the dogs can be with other greyhounds which they prefer, but they don't have lots of staff to deal with those things.
I honestly don't know what to do. I wish I had somewhere quiet and rural I could go to with them at least for this weekend and again the following weekend.
Vet has just rung they have made a bigger hole in his foot than normal to drain everything out and he will need a bandage change on Saturday and the foot has to be kept clean. He is also on antibiotics. It would be difficult for the kennels to do that I know. What a flipping mess.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I feel terrible for you this couldn't have come at a worse time, I wish I could offer you to come and stay with me but that isn't a solution

Having my own dog who is terrified of fireworks I really really really feel for you...

What about offering to come to the kennels daily to help look after him? I have no idea if this is even feasible, but at least if he is there he is away from the noise and the stress and if you can go and help then you are taking the pressure off of the kennels re. the cleaning and bandaging etc.

Good Luck, and thinking of you x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh Bev,

I wish I could invite you to stay here, but it's my 50th next week and I've got Clive and Daniel here at the weekend together with Clive's brother and his family, there just isn't enough room at the inn

I'm thinking that there will be fireworks in the distance but certainly not too close as there isn't anyonw close enough to worry us. I am so lucky that none of my setters have ever been bothered, the Pointers though were a whole different story.

I really hope you manage to sort things out xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
I have now picked Kyiro up and he is sporting a lovely bright green bandage .
I have also had a long chat with Debbie at the kennels and the thing that worries her is the fact they last get to go out in the paddocks at 4.30 in the afternoon now the nights are dark so that means the dogs tend to wee in their kennels overnight and as we can't leave anything plastic on it overnight to keep it dry because it would sweat and get infected he could end up standing in wee which will then soak straight through the bandage which could cause infection. She said putting his plastic boot on and lead walking him if necessary rather than letting him run loose in the paddocks is not a problem.
I have weighed up Kyiros extreme fear of fireworks and the risks at the kennels and still think he would be better off there as he is likely to seriously have a heart attack here with the constant bangs all around day and night and I couldn't get him out to the toilet hear at all after 2pm.
Debbie is thankfully happy to take him if I write her a disclaimer saying I won't hold her responsible if he stands in wee and gets an infection. He is on antibiotics for the next 5 days and i could always get him a longer course to hopefully stop any infection arising that way.
Kyiro has got to have a bandage change on Saturday morning and possibly every couple of days for a while so I have said I will pick him up and take him for those and then return him to the kennels.
So they will both be off tomorrow morning as planned. Thats a big weight off my mind I can tell you. We have agreed to play it by ear and if he keeps getting his bandage wet i will collect them on Tue morning and bring them home till the following Friday as hopefully the fireworks won't be as bad for those 3 days.
Its not ideal I know but the best I can do weighing everything up.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I am so glad you have managed to sort things out! xx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted, but I would probably think about considering another vet - the vets I have used have always been happy to claim directly from the insurance - so long as you show them a valid insurance policy.

I haven't used insurance for years mind, so no idea if that's still common tbh.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Phew its not ideal, but it is a great solution considering the other option.

I totally agree weighing up infection v's stress from fireworks, chances are he wouldn't get pee in the cut anyway... and isn't urine supposed to be a good healer?

Anyway so pleased it is all sorted for you - now relax!!!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Azz my old vet used to claim direct but they were rubbish. This vets is excellent and the treatment and expertise fantastic, but they don't claim direct for anyone because they have been caught out too many times. They injected a little local anesthetic into his foot, same stuff that we get at the dentist, to numb it rather than sedate him or give hi anesthetic.
Thank you DD and Sheree for saying you would invite us if you could but you would both have been just too far away. The thought is appreciated though.
Malka i am very relieved I can tell you.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Oh goodness Bev.

Weighing up the stress of fireworks and infection I think you are being wise sending him to the kennels.
If he is on antibiotics they may help lessen the risk of infection hopefully.

We have just as many fireworks here so it wouldn't of been any help offering for him to come here for a while plus he would probably get fed up of Dllon and his ott ways very quickly.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Oh blimey Bev, yet another palarva you've had to go through, more worry and stress, your heart will be back racing again Anyway, you seem to have sorted it out now, but if you need to get up there during the daytime to do whatever to that bandage, I'm sure you'll make the time somehow.

I wish I could have offered you the caravan up at the park, but it's still being occupied, and it wouldn't be any good anyway for you having to get to work I suppose? If you want it next year during the fireworks instead of forking out for kennels you can have it f.o.c. just contribute to the gas you'll use ok, you are more than welcome, and it's lovely and clean and cosy and of course, the park is very dog friendly with the forest walk right on your doorstep!

Good luck with Kyiro and that foot yet again, but at least you know he'll be with friends and away from all that noise.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >