Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Hallo,

Would you consider getting in a good trainer or behaviourist to give a pair of fresh eyes to the subject? It would be good to have their take on the situation, they could also help you train him with "Settle" and so on, so that he can at certain times learn to relax and take it easy. Some dogs do need to learn how to chill out, and it certainly seems as if your dog is not very good at that at the moment

Is the rescue a good one, and if so do they have their own behaviourist who is up to date with modern methods?

Searching and tracking games are tiring. I'd probably suggest getting him to work for all his food, whether from a stuffed kong or by hiding it around the garden... get him calm and focussed, rather than manic and bonkers

I would imagine with some work, he would respond to trainiing although may always be a bit "OTT" - could you cope with that at times, if some of the time he did learn to settle and relax more?

He sounds rather fun in fact. Do you know what his breeding is at all?

Wys
x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I think six weeks is still very early on. It took Dexter a good six months to really start calming down after I adopted him.

Does your boy get to play with other dogs on a regular basis? I find that this tires Dexter out quite a bit.

It's probably all still very exciting and overwhelming for your Lurcher. I think the suggestions given by other folk here re trying some more training etc are really good.

I'm smiling as I type this, as I'm just remembering Dexter's first few months with us... He would wait until he and I were alone, and then he would literally TEAR around the house, like a lunatic, destroying anything in his path!

But once he'd started settling in, and we'd got into a bit of a routine, he calmed right down.

Hope it all works out and again, I do feel that six weeks is really early days
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I have a rescue lurcher called Jenny and when we first got her she was a total nightmare. She had terrible separation anxiety, endless energy and was really hard to cope with. Now however, she is beautiful, much calmer and happier and doesn't need that much exercise. A quick blast down the beach and she sleeps all day!!
6 weeks isn't that long really, but I agree that the more exercise you give him, the more he needs.
The rescue should have told you what he was like really. x
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm overwhelmed by everyone's kind messages and brilliant suggestions. I think the over-riding problem is our lack of space - the garden really is a titchy postage-stamp sized yard, not enough to play in at all. And whilst I am a freelancer I don't know how much more time I can actually devote to him with training etc and still manage to keep my fledgeling business afloat.
The rescue called yesterday to say they have a place for him if I want to take him back today. I have had a tearful, sleepless night wondering what to do. Perhaps I have bitten off more than I can chew, and let him go to a home that can give him everything he needs, rather than just a bit of it...
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 07:27 AM
I think you should do what you feel is right..
Having said that I think you can see from everyones success stories that their previously manic rescues have turned in to relaxed and well trained dogs.

Personally I don't think garden size should be a huge issue - if you can take him out a couple of times a day to an open park and then do some mental exercises at home. I too would give it a bit longer, but if you are sure you feel there's a more suitable home out there then do what you feel is right.

Keep us updated
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Personally I would try a change of food, slightly less exercise and more brain training.

We had to return a rescue and it was the hardest thing to do... I'd really suggest sticking with this boy if at all possible. You'll always have support here
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Ultimately only you can make the decision whether to put him back in rescue, but I think the idea of giving him another couple of weeks and try some of the suggestions offered would be a good one.

Do the rescue have an on-site behaviourist, or one they work alongside? If so, I would definitely suggest having a chat with them before making any final decisions. How old is your dog?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 07:52 AM
How old is this dog.....?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Harringtons has beat pulp in it this canmakes have endless enegery, pedigree chum has the same and this is what caused many of the problems I had with Millie.

You are walking your puppy far too much and this is whats giving your dog the energy. As puppies they seemingly have endless amounts of energy I know Millie did but 7 months she is only just starting to calm down and some don't calm down till their 2 years.

You should consider a crate make sure the pup goes in after meals as this will teach the dog to calm down it helped correct Millies behavior loads.

welcome to puppyhood you should consider most puppies are like this, unless you set ground rules all puppies become unrullly and destructive.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 08:23 AM
er, beat pulp is just a filler...its likely the sugars that made your cocker silly on pedigree
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >