View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Good suggestion, and that does wear him out for a little...
I do do some intensive training with him for around 20 minutes every day at home, and always make sure we have some walk-time when he is close on the heel,doing some twists and turns to keep him on his toes.
It does indeed wear him out for a little while, then he's back to work pacing, pining and barking, though he seems to be good and quietish when i'm out (according to neighbours) Attention seeking I guess... he has me wrapped around his little dewclaw...)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by tessarc View Post
Re: Kong - we have tried one of them, he gets a bit bored of them it seems nothing holds his attention quite like another dog. Have also tried a knucklebone from the butchers and also whilst he quite liked it was not overly blown-away in the way that our other dogs have been. I honestly think it is a case of him needing a bit more space and a playmate, does that make sense?
What are you filling it with? Try smelly stuff like peanut butter, meat paste etc with his regular kibble; or try feeding his actual meals in it, rather than a bowl.

We have a Tug-A-Jug toy - which my two get incredibly frustrated with, but won't leave alone (cos it has food in it!)
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:07 PM
tug-a-jug looks amazing and looks like it might keep him occupied - he is pretty smart and works things out easily so maybe this would challenge him... I think I might give him another week before deciding to return him and see how I cope...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Aww it sounds like you really don't want to give up on your lad, so it is definitely worth trying some of the things that have already been suggested.

I know you say he is happier with dog company, and if you were to go down that route, then perhaps you could look into getting an older rescue greyhound as a companion for him (as they don't need tons of exercise and are quite lazy around the house).

Good luck.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:25 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my rescue was a total nightmare when I got him. Literally bouncing off walls, richocheting off the sofa, counter surfing, knocking me physically over. He used to jump on our kitchen table (he's a big dog too!) and one day had diorreah all over it

I never ever thought I'd be able to settle and relax and forget there was a dog in the room.

Now he's very calm. It took time, patience and training. He also had to grow up and calm down and mature a bit. It took him a few months to settle and feel like this was his home. Now he's great

I don't know how long you can give him, but time really is the greatest healer. He won't do it in another week, but it's early days and he is still settling in and probably feeling insecure.

I also set up a mini agility set in the garden when is a great way to settle him down as it combines exercise with training

I hope you can work it out
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
P.s. How old is he?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Glad your giving him another week or two to see how he goes.

Personally I think that people (generally I mean) put a lot of emphasis on exercising dogs the minute they pace, whine etc etc.

IMHO sometimes they need to LEARN that its ok to just 'be' it is still early days yet for him settling in too, I think.

Have you thought about crate training since you can be flexible/be around?

I'm no expert but I think a routine (to start with) as to when, where, how long he is expected to settle, using positive reinforcement would be a good idea.

The JW a-maze-a-ball is really good for in the house, my boy prefers this to a kong as it lasts a bit longer. He still only gets it when I am around though. It's a rubber ball with a 'maze' inside that the food which you put in one end has to work through before they can get it out the other end.

Another thing might be to do a little trick training, hiding games whilst out on a walk, letting him 'find' stuff. Be predictable in terms of being positive when he is settled, maybe handing him a big raw bone or something, but be a little spontaneous on walks, walk a bit, jog a bit, sit down for a bit, hide from him for a bit.....take him somewhere he never usually goes but that wont scare him, let him take in all the new sights, smells etc

I hope it all works out well for you both.

Would you consider a APDT registered trainer coming round?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
good post MM, tried to rep but it wouldnt let me
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Clicker training-google Karen Pryor on the net-far more tiring than any walk or physical exercise & the benefit is the dog get trained as well
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Clicker training-google Karen Pryor on the net-far more tiring than any walk or physical exercise & the benefit is the dog get trained as well
totally agree with this too

I love clicker lol

Edit; I have quite an active boy who is now very settled at home but when it comes to toys I rotate (well a bit more random than that if I'm honest) I have a box he cant get to and the toys live there. I give different ones each time. So just as an example; one day he gets the A-maze-a-ball with food in, the next he gets to play outside with a bouncy skittle thing, the next he gets a kong, then the next he might get a big raw bone such as frozen pork ribs...and so on. I think it is bound to be more stimulating than relying on one toy that he is expected to take himself off with. We also have daily, throw and fetch, catch, tuggy..with a ball on a rope.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=152241

just thought I would add in the hope maybe it could be of some help, perhaps worth a try if you dont already do this? (to the OP that is lol)
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >