Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 02:11 PM

My lovely rescue Lurcher

Hi,

Thought I would add Tommys story to the success story thread, I have said a bit about him before in other threads but here goes ..

I looked for a dog for a number of months and wanted a lurcher or a greyhound , friends have recued greys and lurchers before and they have a superb temprament and truly live up to the 40mph couch potato reputation !

Tommys background is not clear , he is 2 and a half and was found as a stray. He was very underwieght and not in great shape. He had scabs all over his snout from a previous injury and all the skin on the back of his ears was dropping off. His coat has losts its lustre and he cowered when approached by men. Despite all this he is the sweetest most trusting dog and we decided to offer him a home despite him being bypassed for a number of weeks in the rescue. Although when it came to rehoming him there were 3 families in the queue !.

Tommy has been with us 4 months now and settled in extremly well , he was no trouble from day 1.

He has now comandeered the sofa each evening and just loves to snuggle. He has mastered all the basic commands and recall is 99 per cent there now. He has learned how to play and is like a real nutter in the back garden when he runs with his toys.

He has mastered opening the patio doors from the outside to get back in and can open the gate if the latch is not !

He has become a real favourite with all our friends who are in a queue to look after him if we need to be away.

I cannot believe such a wonderful dog ended up on the streets and was not loved and cared for as he deserves to be.

Tommy is going to have a go at agility and see if he enjoys it , he is fast , can jump and turns on a sixpence so we will see if he finds it fun.

He is looking really good now , snout all better, ears healed after daily treatment for a couple of weeks, he has gained half a stone and is at his ideal weight now, he is so food orientated that training is made easier.

Cant really think what life would be like without Tommy now he is a real star !

There are some pics of Tommy in the picture section !
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for posting, what a lovely story. I've just been looking at the pictures of Tommy, he is absolutely adorable!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
He sounds lovely - it`s so nice to hear success stories like this.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Tommy sounds the perfect dog, hope you have many happy years together
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the comments , Tommy is just great , apart from his occasional barking at other doggies whilst out on the lead, usually only if they are off lead but working on that with his favourite treats as a reward !