Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by jade the sbt View Post
yes they should, but not the point, the point in law saws if you are found with one you get taken to court, if there you can prove the dog is not dangerous the dog gets registered and is then legal. breeding the dog and selling pit bulls is illegal, owning a registered one is not.
but it is EXACTLY the point. The very fact that any exist, mean it is illegal, end of. As it has to be the product of illegal breeding or smuggling.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Er no, they refer to PIT BULL TYPES as of course PIT BULLS must be extinct in the UK! They cannot exist and if they DO exist they are ipso facto illegal because they are benned!
Section 1 Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
It is a criminal offence to possess certain types of dog and the most common of these is the dog of the type known as the pit bull terrier. The only way such dogs can be lawfully kept is if they are registered on the Index of Exempted Dogs, but the only way such dogs can go on the Register is by Court order.

thats the law read it.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2011, 09:55 PM
but it is EXACTLY the point. The very fact that any exist, mean it is illegal, end of. As it has to be the product of illegal breeding or smuggling.
even if they are bred illegally if the court finds the dog isnt dangerous THEY BECOME LEGAL
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:56 PM
wrong. because buying an illegal dog isnt illegal if you then go to court and prove its not dangerous you will then have a legally registered dog.

But people are not buying an illegal dog are they! They are buying (insert relevant euphemism) to try and get away with it.

One of the reasons behind the rise in popularity of ABTs is because these ARE legal.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Section 1 Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
It is a criminal offence to possess certain types of dog and the most common of these is the dog of the type known as the pit bull terrier. The only way such dogs can be lawfully kept is if they are registered on the Index of Exempted Dogs, but the only way such dogs can go on the Register is by Court order.

thats the law read it.
I have read it, and if you cannot debate without resorting to the use of foul language, it demonstrates your lack of intelligence.

Ah, but you demonstrated that earlier didn't you!
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2011, 09:58 PM
But people are not buying an illegal dog are they! They are buying (insert relevant euphemism) to try and get away with it.

One of the reasons behind the rise in popularity of ABTs is because these ARE legal.
ok another eample. my cousin in south ireland owns a pit bull. he could legally bring it over here, and if stopped he could go to court and have it registered. MAKING IT A FULLY LEGAL DOG regardless of breed
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I have read it, and if you cannot debate without resorting to the use of foul language, it demonstrates your lack of intelligence.

Ah, but you demonstrated that earlier didn't you!
haha yes my lack of intelligence. ok.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow, there's no need to get nasty about it. Pit Bulls are illegal. Yes, you can get them legally exempt from being put to sleep but you've either bought, found, been given or imported an illegal dog in the first place. And given that the law you linked states there is no provision for the keeper of the dog to get the dog put on the exempt list it seems to suggest that they're not meant to buy them and get them on that list. And there's a damn good chance if you do go to court the dog will die.

And it's not just pit bulls as a breed that are banned, it's pit bull type. And that leaves a lot of wriggle room either way.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Wow, there's no need to get nasty about it. Pit Bulls are illegal. Yes, you can get them legally exempt from being put to sleep but you've either bought, found, been given or imported an illegal dog in the first place. And given that the law you linked states there is no provision for the keeper of the dog to get the dog put on the exempt list it seems to suggest that they're not meant to buy them and get them on that list. And there's a damn good chance if you do go to court the dog will die.

And it's not just pit bulls as a breed that are banned, it's pit bull type. And that leaves a lot of wriggle room either way.

Speaking of type - can someone explain how a 7/8 week old pup was seized & killed as a "type" recently. The owners are taking it as far as they can & fair play to them, to get justice for a pup who never had a life.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Jadethesbt have you heard of DDA Watch? I'm sure you probably have. They are holding a dog show in August which has a class for registered Pit Bulls. I'm sure Smokeybear will correct me and tell me I'm wrong but the show is real and is going ahead. DDA Watch (as I'm sure you know) is a group of people who offer advice to those affected by the laws surrounding Pit Bulls and Pit type dogs.

On a copy of vigils, protests, I have personally met people who have dogs that are type, meaning they meet the criteria that Pit Bulls have. These dogs are legal, as you have already said, but again, I'm sure we'll be corrected!
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >