View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Bad owners.Whether they be 'hard men' or irresponsible or just not competent to train and control a dog properly.

The dogs get the blame.The idiot who owned the tethered Akita that mauled the child had only owned the dog for a few days!How would he know if the dog was safe with children?
Any dog that is tied up is more likely to bite if approached.

If any of my dogs ever savaged someone I would have the dog pts.Not because the dog was dangerous,I have dangerous dogs here now and I have had them in the past,but because an attack would be evidence that I was not capable of keeping them under appropriate control.

Mea culpa.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't think it's saying all dogs are bad, just pointing out how many attacks there are and how they are rising in number each year and of course showing the horrendous injuries the victims receive. I sometimes feel people defend the dogs too much and always blame it on the person who has been attacked, saying they must have done something to the dog to make it attack. In quite a few of those cases children were playing by themselves when a dog suddenly appeared and started attacking, also in the case of some of the adults who were simply walking along the street when a dog suddenly pounced on them.

Whether it would make any difference adding other breeds to the Dangerous Dogs act I don't know as there are quite a few American Pit Bulls in my area that people have purchased in the past few years.

I know there's one breed especially on there which I always avoid. If I see them in the distance I quickly walk the other way. I don't want them near me or Lana as I don't trust them. I would be quite happy for all of them to be neutered so the breed dies out. I'm not going to say which ones as I don't want to start a war on here
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
I sometimes feel people defend the dogs too much and always blame it on the person who has been attacked, saying they must have done something to the dog to make it attack.

I agree, hence my post.

In quite a few of those cases children were playing by themselves when a dog suddenly appeared and started attacking, also in the case of some of the adults who were simply walking along the street when a dog suddenly pounced on them.

Whether it would make any difference adding other breeds to the Dangerous Dogs act I don't know as there are quite a few American Pit Bulls in my area that people have purchased in the past few years

I think you have answered your own question here as APB Dogs are illegal, have been for some years, and should all have become extinct.

I know there's one breed especially on there which I always avoid. If I see them in the distance I quickly walk the other way. I don't want them near me or Lana as I don't trust them. I would be quite happy for all of them to be neutered so the breed dies out. I'm not going to say which ones as I don't want to start a war on here
Well there are only 4 breeds of dog that are illegal in the UK, therefore a) there should not be any and b) we can all guess which ones they are! ;

All dogs are potentially dangerous just as all people are!
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2011, 11:26 AM
\i direct you to the post about the child poking the dog tied up outside the supermarket. if that dog had bitten her, then why would it be the dogs fault?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 03:08 PM
The article was a little misleading re. the chinese shar- pei was it? I read about this incident in a magazine - the father of the boy who was bitten had found the dog a couple of days before and rather than take him to a rescue he had decided to medicate the dog and give him a home. It gave the impression, I thought, that this dog was a family pet, but it had obviously suffered a lot of neglect and was possibly in some pain which maybe contributed to the attack.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Why have the attacks gone up? Because BSL does not work, it does not stop stupid people owning dogs.

Some details of the attacks were a bit glossed to make it look like the dog was always at fault rather than the people around

This web site has been going some years and clearly is not being run by people who like dogs of any breed.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I think that website is garbage tbh. I dont believe the statistics, some of them just dont add up to me and the way things are written is just ridiculous. It is clear the writer is biased and would be much better if it was written in a clear, and balanced way. Some of those cases too are not just simply 'the dog attacked' and its that black and white, most of them are down to human stupidity.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think that website is garbage tbh.
i agree after having a quick glance
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2