Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:02 AM

More than one dog??

Hi all,
My hubbie and i are pondering on getting another dog.
Its a big decission and one that we will not rush into.
My hubbie wants a big dog and thats not a problem, I think we are considering a boxer or a gsd.
these are dogs we like but havent researched as yet, but i will be looking into each breed.
As you know we both work but Toby is never left for longer than a couple of hours..
My question is this, for those of you who have had one dog and then more than one do you find that they are good company for each other? do you think lone dogs have more attention or more than one are happy because they have the same species as company?
Bit of a waffle im sorry but your thoughts would be appreciated.
claire
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:42 AM
I have had multiple dogs for the past 5 or 6 years, but had just one dog at a time before that. I think alot depends on the original dog, as some don't really like other dogs and like to be an only dog.. However, in my experience, most dogs enjoy the company of other dogs and I would never have a single dog again.

Good luck in your search.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Toby is quite a sociable pup, and he loves it when we go to the inlaws where he mixes with 3 others.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 10:05 AM
My dogs keep each other company. And I love to see them interacting with each other. Two dogs is twice the fun.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Scout would prefer never seeing another dog for as long as she lives, but she tolerates my annoying habit of letting other dogs live with me the other 4 like and appreciate company, Mouse and Oliver especially. I'll never have only one dog.

C&D if two is twice the fun, what's 5??? LOL
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I am definitely pleased we have the two, cost obviously is double, but other than that have no negatives yet, little more floor space taken up for the crate, but it works well and they love each other.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 11:42 AM
i love having the two dogs. its so much nicer watching daphni interact with something thats her own species. where we walk we dont meet many other dogs, so for me to have the two is great they love tearing after each other and following each other to who can find the best thing to roll in

i havent noticed the cost to be honest but as i got my second pup i was introducing raw food which is a hell of alot cheaper than the food i was buying before.

id definately get another. dont ever plan on being with just the one dog, and see myself with more than 2 aswell
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Multiple dogs here too Watching dogs play together is just brilliant and they keep each other entertained

For me, I think there is something quite sad about single dogs, I know that you do get some dogs that genuinely prefer being on their own but they are in the minority, most dogs crave companionship with another so I think it cruel to keep one on it's own, but that is just my opinion

Cost isn't really an issue as far as I am concerned.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Multiple dogs here too Watching dogs play together is just brilliant and they keep each other entertained

For me, I think there is something quite sad about single dogs, I know that you do get some dogs that genuinely prefer being on their own but they are in the minority, most dogs crave companionship with another so I think it cruel to keep one on it's own, but that is just my opinion

Cost isn't really an issue as far as I am concerned.
I agree with Pilgrim. I have five and have found that the youngsters learn from the older ones (bad habits as well as good unfortunately!) and are much less bothered about other dogs as they have each other. I do have one who I think would have preferred to have been an only dog but he is the one who will trot over to strange dogs to say hello. He seemed to be getting grumpier and grumpier with each new addition but is a lot better now that the youngest is 18 months old.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
C&D if two is twice the fun, what's 5??? LOL
heaven....

or possibly madness.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >