Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Turkey good or bad?

[I am not sure if this should be here or under Dog Health - if it is in the wrong place would one of the mods please move it for me - thanks!]

It has been mentioned by someone that seizure dogs should not have turkey because of the tryptophan in it. As Pereg's main source of meat/RMB is chicken or turkey, I wondered if it was just another scare story or a misunderstanding on her part.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know Malka but someone told me on Saturday that I shouldn't be having my epi dog vaccinated - on recommendation of the manufacturers - so that's something I need to investigate!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 02:23 PM
tryptophan is an essential amino acid found in many foods including chicken.

Are you sure that it is not SUPPLEMENTS that are being discussed rather than specific foods?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know Malka but someone told me on Saturday that I shouldn't be having my epi dog vaccinated - on recommendation of the manufacturers - so that's something I need to investigate!
Pereg has her yearly boosters and also the yearly rabies shot, and I have no worries about those, even though there is a lot of opposition amongst most people on the epi List, but then a lot of them say that flea/tick/worm treatment is bad. I follow the advice of my Vet and if he says vaccinations etc are safe, then I go by what he says. She is thankfully on a good streak at the moment, with her last boosters being on 19 April, and the rabies shot due end July/beginning August.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
tryptophan is an essential amino acid found in many foods including chicken.

Are you sure that it is not SUPPLEMENTS that are being discussed rather than specific foods?
No SB - it was definitely turkey. Both as meat as in raw or home-cooked, and turkey as an ingredient in kibble.

Tbh I think that one person starts a "I read such and such" and it snowballs into others doing the nodding-head act. The same as they tend to do with vaccinations etc, but as the subject of turkey being "bad" for epis has only just arisen, I thought the best place to ask was here on Dogsey - where people do not normally give incorrect information.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Pereg has her yearly boosters and also the yearly rabies shot, and I have no worries about those, even though there is a lot of opposition amongst most people on the epi List, but then a lot of them say that flea/tick/worm treatment is bad. I follow the advice of my Vet and if he says vaccinations etc are safe, then I go by what he says. She is thankfully on a good streak at the moment, with her last boosters being on 19 April, and the rabies shot due end July/beginning August.
Me too but I will be looking into it. So glad Pereg is doing better - didn't like to ask in case I jinxed her!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Me too but I will be looking into it. So glad Pereg is doing better - didn't like to ask in case I jinxed her!
Shhhhh! I am fairly sure that when we increased her Pb but instead of giving it BID changed to TID, ie every 8 hours instead of every 12 hours, it helped keep her seizures under control. Which does not, of course, mean that she will not have another GM as soon as I post this.

But I do not intend to stop having her vaccinated, or stop the Frontline and Drontal, nor do I intend to stop giving her turkey - there is nothing like the crunch crunch crunch of her with half a turkey neck - unless it is a couple of large chicken wings!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-05-2012, 05:01 PM
all of my dogs, all of my life,turkey,chicken,and sea duck.never any troubles.they eat lots.cooked and raw.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 05:42 PM
The advice re the annual boosters is now that they can be done every three years, and that they are not needed every year.

I am given to understand that it was the drug companies who recommended the yearly booster - if I'm wrong on this someone please correct me...

I too have read that dogs who are poorly in any way should definitely NOT have vaccs.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2012, 06:15 PM
With so many stray/dumped dogs wandering around, probably none of which have ever been vaccinated, I am not prepared to take the risk of Pereg not having yearly boosters, as recommended by my Vet. It is also mandatory for the rabies shot to be given yearly - again far too many people do not bother.

As for giving the shots to a poorly dog - Pereg is not ill, she is, thankfully, very healthy - she is just epileptic, and no way would my Vet vaccinate her if he had even the slightest doubt.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
With so many stray/dumped dogs wandering around, probably none of which have ever been vaccinated, I am not prepared to take the risk of Pereg not having yearly boosters, as recommended by my Vet. It is also mandatory for the rabies shot to be given yearly - again far too many people do not bother.

As for giving the shots to a poorly dog - Pereg is not ill, she is, thankfully, very healthy - she is just epileptic, and no way would my Vet vaccinate her if he had even the slightest doubt. :-)

Sounds like you have a great relationship with your vet Malka
Wish I had that much faith in the ones we see!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >