Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bry50n
New Member!
Male 

28-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Shy cocker spaniel

hi there i am thinking about buying a 2 yr old cocker spaniel wee have went to see her and she was very shy and would not come near us .she was a show dog and the owner has 4 for them one of which was also shy but was coming round to us but the one we are thinking on buying wouldnt .when you went to pet her or moved your hand fast she coward away but her tail was wagging towards her owner i have two kids age 7 and 8 and dont know if the shyness and strange home could make her bite please can anyone help
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I personally wouldnt want a shy dog, tempermant is very important to me. But I spose its down to you, and if you feel you can give her a good home and get her out of her 'shell' so to speak - maybe start training classes if you were to take her!

I do find it slightly strang that an ex show dog would be shy - ecspecially hand shy, maybe this is why the owner is rehoming her - because her tempermant is not good enough for the ring?.

If I was the slightest bit concerned about the tempermant on a dog, I doubt I would bring it into my home.
A shy dog in new surrounds, may become stressed.
bry50n
New Member!
Male 

28-12-2010, 11:45 PM
the owner has had a stroke and they are to much for her to look after .the owner told us that she would be fine with the kids .she also said the it she would not sell a dog to a family if she knew it would bite and that it was her name that was at risk within the breed .
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by bry50n View Post
the owner has had a stroke and they are to much for her to look after .the owner told us that she would be fine with the kids .she also said the it she would not sell a dog to a family if she knew it would bite and that it was her name that was at risk within the breed .
Any dog can bite put into a situation where it feels scared or threatened. It may not be aggressive but you have already said it was shy, and cleaerly fearful of you if it coward from fast movement. Like I said its up to you. If you trust the breeder, take her word. I wouldnt want a dog with such a tempermant but thats just me - if you feel happy with it go for it, although I would be tempted to have a wee agreement that if you feel she has not improved or become settled in your home after X amount of weeks, the breeder will take her back and rehome.
bry50n
New Member!
Male 

28-12-2010, 11:53 PM
if she came up to us i would have no probs i think i will go back and see her this week and take her out for a walk and spend sometime with her see how she comes round
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by bry50n View Post
if she came up to us i would have no probs i think i will go back and see her this week and take her out for a walk and spend sometime with her see how she comes round
Thats a really good idea - good luck, let us know.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2010, 05:24 AM
I think you're doing the right thing, really considering if she is the right dog for your family.

Please be fully aware that any dog can bite, and needs to be supervised around children. If you are anyway hesitant about this dog's temperament, or you are unsure whether you can effectively manage your home to ensure that you 'supervise or separate' the dogs and children, then I would be inclined to suggest you hold off until the right dog and time for your family.

That being said, I think meeting the dog again is a fantastic idea. All the best in your search for a new dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:36 AM
If you are an experienced dog owner and are prepared to rehabilitate this dog to help her through her issues, fine.
But because you believe the breeder when she is patently telling lies leads me to suspect you haven`t got experience with damaged dogs?
I would walk away from this one if I were you.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2010, 10:41 AM
If this dog is being rehomed, why does the breeder want money for it?

Surely finding the most suitable home for the dog is the most important thing?
bry50n
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2010, 11:29 AM
as i said at the start her other dog was the same was very shy aswell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >