register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I would love to grow my own veg - its my dream to one day be able to afford a house with a decent amount of land so that I can grow my veg - I wish we had allotments up here that would be great
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I was considering getting an allotment. Is it worth it do you think? I think the being among like minded people would be great evem if I manage to grow nothing
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:04 PM
A whole allotment is actually HUGE.
Half is enough for most and our society is actively encouraging people to just take a half.
It is great. You have space to experiment, space to put in lots of what you really like and yes, nice people, of all sorts/ages etc.
I think it is a wonderful way to spend time - food, exercise, good company (10 minutes digging/five minutes chatting ), help and advice..it just feels good for the soul to me, and I'm not even a spiritual person

Oh - you can put in lots of flowers too, if you like. If you're a flower arranger it's great to have the space to grow lots and lots and not worry about your garden looking threadbare if you cut some.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2005, 01:10 PM
they sound like so much fun - I wonder why we don't have anything similar up here
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:14 PM
its beautiful where i am ... nottingham ... im just watching hucknall town in the f a vase final ... hucknall are my local team they are level 1 all ... so im not even outside enjoying the sunshine

julie
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Glorious weather here in the east-sun is shining,nice and warm and i've been digging a damn big hole to plant a huge palm tree in garden-sweating buckets in the process...
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm so jealous you have the sun - we now have thick black clouds and very heavy rain
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:28 PM
It was lovely and sunny when I woke up this morning but now there are loads of horrible grey clouds floating around

DM we have loads of herbs - bay leaf tree (is that what you call it? ) thyme, lemon thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano (a few different varieties) some long oniony things and some garlic onions. Every time I cook I go out to the garden and make a little bundle of herbs to chuck in the pot, it tastes lovely!

We had some lettuces last year which were lovely, unfortunately we only got to eat a couple until the slugs invaded My sister is growing some cucumbers too!
doglover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 01:40 PM
well the weather down here is, well, at the moment the sun is shining. But thats not it, it's being going between very heavy rain, and sun shining, raining, shining like that!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Weather in Staffs is fine and sunny, looked a bit sus this morning, but it wouldn't have mattered, both Tia and Pip went for a swim so obviously got soaked
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >