Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 08:02 AM

how frequently will I need to worm??

Just a quick question really, Flower has just turned 5 months and I have been worming her every two weeks (wormed her last night)

Do I need to carry on worming her every two weeks until she is 6 months? If so do I then only worm her once a month after that??

Just a bit confused!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
Just a quick question really, Flower has just turned 5 months and I have been worming her every two weeks (wormed her last night)

Do I need to carry on worming her every two weeks until she is 6 months? If so do I then only worm her once a month after that??

Just a bit confused!!
Hi Anna it is best to get a worming preparation from the vets rather than over the counter products from a pet shop, then follow the vets/manufacturers instructions

It is important to worm puppies regularly but I think there is a tendency to over worm dogs. Once puppies have been cleared of worms obtained from the dam/stop eating rubbish they are less likely to pick up worms.

I think when to worm an adult dog depends on your circumstances really, if you have more than one dog/walk in an area frequented by many dogs/have a dog that eats rubbish/you do need to worm more frequently, with an older dog or one for whom none of these things apply I don't think it is necessary to worm too often.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 09:13 AM
yeah I get the wormer from the vets, and it comes in a tablet form, She does eat alot of rubbish in the garden, i.e snails and slugs!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
yeah I get the wormer from the vets, and it comes in a tablet form, She does eat alot of rubbish in the garden, i.e snails and slugs!!
It is a good idea to tell your vet this there are so many different species of parasitic worms and some worming preparations are designed for particular species, Drontal for instance works well on a number of worms including tape worms, Pancure works for lungworms but not the flea transmitted tape worm (see below)..this is why it is best to ask your vet advice and to explain your particular circumstances . Hopefully your puppy should grow out of the 'slug phase'

Pancure:
for the treatment of roundworms, tapeworms (not effective against Dipylidium caninum the 'flea
tapeworm'), lungworms and Giardia.

Ps. You are speaking to someone who recently spent half the day trying to get slug slime out of her puppy's mouth and beard it was like glue!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 10:07 AM
hehe, what possesses them to eat slugs and snails anyway??!! Flower had a habit when we first got her of pulling the snail out of the shell and eating that...

nice!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 10:23 AM
hi i advise my puppy owners to worm every 2 weeks till 12 weeks then every 12 weeks,but if you read the other thread on lung worm caused maily by eating slugs and snails,yuk, did the vet advise you to worm every 2 weeks,it seems i would have thought that it was a bit much,but then im not a vet so id maybe ask him xx
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 11:22 AM
yeah I was recommended to work her every 2 weeks until 6 months old...its just when she is 6 months I was confused as to how often she would then need worming!! xxx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I was advised to wom every month after 6 months as we had young children in the house.