Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would have thorough healthtests done on the Staffie and post-mortem on the lab if it were my dogs - have heard of similar cases where the dog that attacked has had a serious issue like a brain tumour causing the sudden "turn" or the attacked dog has had an issue like a siezure which has caused the out-of-the-blue reaction from other dogs in the household.
Tupac started reacting different to my collie Blue about 6 months prior to him being diagnosed with a brain tumour
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Just a note, please remember that a dog that attacks another dog does not = an animal not to be trusted with people.

I do not know what your lifestyle is like or what other dogs could be at risk or why so am unqualified to quantify the risks, that is for you to discuss with your vet and/or reputable behaviourist etc.

Good luck in whatever you decide, there are, as always, a number of factors to consider.
Well said - we have issues of DA with our Ben (large males only), and several people have accused him of being a dangerous dog with humans and complained to the dog warden and local police. Who of course have taken the very sensible view that as long as we have him under control, now we know that he is not to be trusted with other males, the dog is not dangerous.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Could your lab had an underlying health condition- ie cancer or something as have heard of dogs attacking the weaker in these instances? Perhaps you could look at an autopsy of your lab to see if it gives any underlying reasons.
I agree with smokey in that I don't think you should regime her in a responsible way as I don't think rescue could easily rehome her tbh. Thee is no reason to assume they she is going to now be aggressive with every dog.
So sorry to hear about your poor lab. Sleep well at the bridge.

I agree with Brundog, regarding did your lab have an underlying problem? Our Boots had cancer and in the last few months of her life, we had quite a few dogs - just ordinary dogs, never been aggressive before, they had met Boots previously on walks - run up to her and go in for the kill (going for her neck & throat etc).

I guess they sensed she was weaker/suffering, and they were going to end that.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you

Zoe has given excellent advice, having been through it herself. I also completely agree with Krlyr. There may have been a problem with your lab (had a fit which triggered your staff to attack) or there may be a problem with your staff (brain problem?). A post mortem on your lab and full check up of your staff may answer some questions and help you assess what to do next. I don't envy your decision, but I think you're unlikely to find a rescue who would rehome your staff.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 04:40 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. It must be very traumatic for you all.

I have experienced two occasions where one of my dogs went for the other with I believe the intention to kill. In both occasions the attacked dog later turned out to have a severe medical condition.

You will never know what triggered the attack on your lab, could have been tensions in the pack, a resource they both wanted, a medical condition in the lab, or even another animal involved, even with bull terriers inter pack fights rarely result in death.

You now have to reforge your relationship with the dog you still have and decide honestly what you can do. It may be that a staffy rescue will help you place them, but with so many of the breed in rescue, there are no guarantees that a place could be found able to take on a known dog aggressive dog.

Only you can say if you can ever forgive them, or trust them again. A dog that attacks another dog will not necessarily become human aggressive. But more caution should be taken. A muzzle when out on walks and a crate to sleep in and of course no unsupervised time with the children is always sensible and advised.

Kismet is dog aggressive, she has attacked both of my other dogs Selkie most severely when she had a gangrenous lump that had to be removed (If Kismet had not attacked her we would not have found it and it would have killed Selkie), but she has also fought with pharaoh over food or some dog issue I did not see. I would not trust her and my other dog alone together. They do not sleep together and they are separated when I go out. But I still love them both and they are curled up together on the sofa as I write this as though butter wouldn't melt...

My sympathy is with you. Whatever you decide is best for your family.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 05:09 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree with those that have said don't do anything rash. Just take a bit of time before making any decisions. It is all very raw at the moment.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
So sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree with those that have said don't do anything rash. Just take a bit of time before making any decisions. It is all very raw at the moment.
I don't think it's still raw.............the incident happened 8 months ago, I think the OP has probably made her decisions now
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Angie for pointing out that it's an old thread.

Isn't it frustrating when you read through a whole thread wondering what's going to happen only to discover it's an old thread that someone's bumped to the top and the original poster is long gone so we never find out what happened. I wonder what she did, whether she kept her staffy or not. oh I do wish people would come back and tell us.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4