View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Vomiting Dogs Again- any dietary suggestions please?

Sorry if this makes you feel ill, I just wanted to describe it as accurately as possible.

Since Bradley was poorly at the weekend I keep finding little piles of vomit in the adult dogs room

No-one is ill or off-colour so I couldn't tell who it was that was doing it.

Yesterday afternoon, a few hours before dinner, Fabey was sick but he had been trying to get fruity with Tawny in the paddock and the pair of them had been charging around, so I put it down to that. Then, last night at about 10 ish I found another pile and Alfie was drooling and has a little bit of slime beside him. I panicked then as he was the one that had bloat so watched him all night but, fortunately, he seems fine.

This morning, about an hour after they had their breakfast Leonie brought hers up, closely followed by Ebony.

The thing that confuses me is that none of them are off colour or showing any signs of being ill. They are all eating well and not off their food at all. They are all drinking slightly more but I assumed that was because I've got the electric radiators on all the time.

None of them have loose motions, except for Bradley who has it on and off but I've just blamed it all on his teething.

I phoned the vet this morning to see what he suggested, i.e. should I put the lot of them on antibiotics?, I really can't starve them, which is what I would usually do as they are ravenous when its meal time. They aren't getting too hungry in between meals as they have a bonio mid morning and mid afternoon. The vet said that he thought it was probably a small bug that was going through the lot of them. I said that I could put them all on fish and rice but that wouldn't satisfy their appetites so he suggested I get some chappie to go with this which will help fill them up.

I've been and got fish, rice, eggs (for boiled eggs but I know not to give them too many), chicken and chappie. Plus I intended toasting their morning loaves and letting them have that dry tomorrow morning.

Has anyone got any other suggestions as to what I could give them. As I said, under normal circumstances they would be starved until they were better but, they aren't ill and are really hungry. I've never encountered anything like this before so feel a bit inadequate.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi Scorpio if the dogs seem well otherwise, clear bright eyes,no diarrhoea/lethargy /not eating/ to indicate that all have a similar infection, my first thought would be that they have all eaten something they shouldn't have, maybe in the paddock something thrown over the hedge?

If you don't wish to rest their tummies (and I would for vomiting but not diarrhoea), the next best thing is very small amounts of bland non fat food at frequent intervals so it does not overload the tummy and has more chance of staying down. I would feed White fish and boiled rice /scrambled egg and rice, porridge with a little honey . Only small amounts of water at a time too (not easy is you have to put a large bowl down for a number of dogs)

How horrid having them all ill at once
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Scorpio if the dogs seem well otherwise, clear bright eyes,no diarrhoea/lethargy /not eating/ to indicate that all have a similar infection, my first thought would be that they have all eaten something they shouldn't have, maybe in the paddock something thrown over the hedge?

If you don't wish to rest their tummies (and I would for vomiting but not diarrhoea), the next best thing is very small amounts of bland non fat food at frequent intervals so it does not overload the tummy and has more chance of staying down. I would feed White fish and boiled rice /scrambled egg and rice, porridge with a little honey . Only small amounts of water at a time too (not easy is you have to put a large bowl down for a number of dogs)

How horrid having them all ill at once
Thanks Mini, I had thought that they were just being sick once and thats it, if they were doing it any more then I could maybe catch whoever it is and watch them but, as I haven't seen other than during the last two days maybe it is the same ones.

Thanks for the suggestion of small frequent meals, I didn't think of that, I shall start them on that shortly and, fingers crossed, it will works its way out of their system.
It did occur to me about the paddock but it all started with Bradley and he has never been in the paddock. I don't have any bushes or plants in there, it is just grass, (or mud) at the moment but I will go out and see if anyone has thrown something in, I'm sure I would know as they all go beserk if someone walks past but you never do know, especially with this thick fog and dark nights, I haven't been able to see one side of the paddock for a couple of days now.
Thanks again for the tips.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Have they access to any water source outside for drinking ?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by dinners85 View Post
Have they access to any water source outside for drinking ?
Thanks for replying.
No, they have 6 bowls that are off the ground on stands just outside the back door and these are filled several times a day from the kitchen tap. I just can't think what they could have picked up as no-one's been to any shows or to any parks etc. Very strange.
They had a small meal of fish and rice about an hour ago and came straight back into the kitchen to see what else was going. I shall give them another small meal in a couple of hours but, as I said, they are so hungry and giving no inkling of being poorly.
Its got me stumped !
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Poor you Sheree, and poor babies too. My suggestion would have been porridge also. Hope they all improve soon honey xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Poor you Sheree, and poor babies too. My suggestion would have been porridge also. Hope they all improve soon honey xx
Thanks Vicki, I'll try the porridge in the morning I think, I just hope if it is a bug it goes as quickly as Bradleys did. x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Me too - the last thing you want is sickly dogs, especially in the quantities you have them
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Have you checked the date on your dog food? I'm just wondering if it's their food that might be off or something??? It's just a thought

I can only agree with Mini who has given you excellent advice and the porridge from Vicki. My personal opinion is it's "rubbish disease" as my vet calls it! Check that label though, coz it was after you fed them their normal food they were sick, but not with today's? Maybe they're better today, but if it happens again when you resort to your usual food, I think it points to that???? Good luck with them, poor little mites.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Have you checked the date on your dog food? I'm just wondering if it's their food that might be off or something??? It's just a thought

I can only agree with Mini who has given you excellent advice and the porridge from Vicki. My personal opinion is it's "rubbish disease" as my vet calls it! Check that label though, coz it was after you fed them their normal food they were sick, but not with today's? Maybe they're better today, but if it happens again when you resort to your usual food, I think it points to that???? Good luck with them, poor little mites.
Thanks Helena,
Yes, their complete is up to date and I've been giving them minced beef, (frozen from Tescos), and sometimes pasta with it. I didn't give them any more vegetables after Bradley was poorly just in case there was something wrong with them. I haven't changed their diet at all so I really can't put my finger on whats caused it.
Mini's suggestion about smaller meals was excellent, no vomiting so far although they did look a bit sorry for themselves after the first meal, I think they thought that was all they were getting, lol. I didn't give them any dog food though, just fish and rice 1st meal and scrambled egg and rice for the 2nd. If they manage to keep that down again tomorrow, and the porridge for breakfast, I'll gradually try them back on their usual food from Sunday. As you say, if they vomit again then it will point to that. I buy it in bulk and it is a new batch that has just been delivered so, theres always a possibility that something went wrong in production. If I think its that I'll be straight onto the manufacturer.
Thanks again for your advice. x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >