Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
G.e.m
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2005, 02:41 PM

sensitive feet?

I have a staffy almost three years old, when she came into season last she started to chew and lick at her feet, which i figured would just stop, but its gone on for almost 9 months, i've been to the vets and been told a million different reasons and perscribed some foot wash which does nothing apart from drive both me and the dog insane as she hates being wet.

her feet are now cracked and sore and as her fur is white about an inch and half up her leg is now really red, she won't let me touch her feet so i know they're hurting her.....

I was just taking a long shot and hoping that someone had some suggestions

btw I might add this also began at the same time as a major ear infection, she is prone to these, but that cleared up and this didnt.

Much thanx Gem.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
hope someone has some good advise but i would try and bathe them and possibly apply a barrier cream ..........not much else to advise
good luck
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
When i had my bullie, she did that she had skin scrapes, blood tests they all came back ok. I tried different shampoos from the vets, and an elderly lady in the vets suggested salt water. Nothing cleared it up, i found out why she was doing it everytime she went on the grass she would chew her legs.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Can't advise sorry but I hope you get to the bottom of this problem, it can't be easy on you or her
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by G.e.m
her feet are now cracked and sore and as her fur is white about an inch and half up her leg is now really red, she won't let me touch her feet so i know they're hurting her.....

btw I might add this also began at the same time as a major ear infection, she is prone to these, but that cleared up and this didnt.

Much thanx Gem.
sounds very much an allergy problem you vet should sort it out but it takes time read this this might help

http://www.cah.com/dr_library/pad.html
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2005, 04:06 PM
I have a staffy almost three years old, when she came into season last she started to chew and lick at her feet, which i figured would just stop, but its gone on for almost 9 months, i've been to the vets and been told a million different reasons and perscribed some foot wash which does nothing apart from drive both me and the dog insane as she hates being wet.

Much thanx Gem.
Hi GEM a few questions for you..
are all the paws sore and is the 'inch and a half up her leg ' on one leg only or all legs,
is your dog walking in/through something that could irritate her ,
what do you feed her on,
also ear infections can spread to the feet because the dogs scratch their ears with their feet and cross infection takes place.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Much thanx Gem.
Our dog is the same Gem, he bites his feet all the time and he also has troublesome ears that he scratches a lot even though the vet can see nothing wrong with them.

Have you tried thornit ear powder because you can put some in her ears and some on her feet as well because mites out of her ears could have transferred to her paws, it might be worth a try.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

09-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi, itchy/sore ears & feet are quite often caused by allergies. No magic remedy sorry but you might like to read the link below. You can also contact the owner, Sam whos very knowledgable about these things
Click holistic health.

http://www.caninecaregroup.net/index.htm
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2005, 10:08 PM
hi
my staffy bruno is allergic to harvest mites which are tiny and tend to hide in between the toes - bruno licks his feet alot and gets red and itchy in his armpits - the vet has us forntline spray his feet specifically - however he gets it every summer and I just find that regular bathing helps to take the itchiness out as does aloe vera cream

he is very sensitive to bites and long grasses too - but I cant really stop it from happening - perhaps you could try putting some dog boots on her when she is out to see if it calms down at all??
Chow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
GEM
My first Chow started getting cysts between his toes.They where very sore.I used to bath them in sea salt water.
The best thing I found for his feet was called Padsanol.I dont know if you can still get it or not.
Bob Grasss ointment is also good
The best thing you could do is go to a greyhound track.The greyhound people are very knowledgeable on dogs feet.
I learned a lot from a greyhound owner who owns a swimming place for dogs.
My boy got his foot caught down a rabbit hole.He snapped his Cruciate Ligament.
He was operated on on.Lots of care and swimming.
I also bought a magnetic polarforce box.Lots of greyhound owners put there dogs in them after they have raced.I swear by mine.
Three and a half months later he got third in his class at Crufts.
Chow
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >