View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I feel its best to get dogs use to every situation just incase. My vets is in town and I have to park the car quite a way from it and walk through town to get there.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2005, 02:09 PM
My dogs thankfully are very confident, and they deal with most situations calmly, which I hope is down to me doing similiar.
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 02:11 PM
but if you dog has never been though a town and for some reason you had to take them where it was bussy they maynot like it and get stressed
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Our town banned dogs they are only allowed into the grotttiest oldest part now - frankly a place I don't want to go. Sad really because we used to take our old dogs into town and they loved the attention.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 02:31 PM
I take Jas into town on occassions but there are so many other dog owners who don't have their dogs on leads that I'd rather avoid a potentially nasty situation and not take him when it's really busy.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I find if the dogs are with me then they quite content no matter where we are, they would still prefer to be in a field as opposed to a town.
pete
Almost a Veteran

19-03-2005, 02:44 PM
housedog i would rather be in a feild or woods than in a town but sometimes you have to go into town wether you like it or not so gettin your dog acustom to situations it may not prefer is only a good thing,
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Mine too Housedog, but unfortunatly we have to do the town run now and again. This is why I feel its important your dogs get use to all situations so its no big deal when you have to do out of the ordinary things with them.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 03:39 PM
I take Ozzy into town sometimes, just not on a Saturday as it is far too busy and I wouldn't want him getting anxious with all the crowds.

I think it's a good idea to get dogs used to all kinds of scenarios and done well can boost their confidence.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I've taken Luna in to town with me since she was an ickle pup... Our current vet's in there.

I just had (still do) treats in my pocket and if I wanted (still want) to divert (sp?) her attention from something, I take a treat in my hand and let her sniff it.. Do this on ur "normal" walks too, when she's off lead and another dog (on lead) comes towards us. She wont even look at the other dog
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >