View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 08:58 AM
My brother lives in Dundee so next time we talk I'll see if he knows anyone, not sure if he will because he's a cat person more than dogs but he might know of someone
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
That's a shame. Whereabouts in Scotland are you based? Are there any Dogsey members nearby that may help? Or maybe you could even invite a Dogsey member up to stay for a little Scottish holiday, a warm bed and a stocked fridge in return for looking after Ben!
Oh me me me!!!

You could understand if a boarder was scared of a certain breed but like Claire said - your dogs at more risk with what a child can do than what a dog full of teeth can do.
Obviously a person with children who invites a strange dog into their house is putting their dog more at risk with each dog.

Good luck finding a sitter or a good kennels
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:00 AM
That's a shame. Whereabouts in Scotland are you based? Are there any Dogsey members nearby that may help? Or maybe you could even invite a Dogsey member up to stay for a little Scottish holiday, a warm bed and a stocked fridge in return for looking after Ben!
What an excellent idea!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:00 AM
My uncles and grandparents had Staffies when I was growing up and they were fantastic around all the kids int eh family - myself included.

People base their opinions, unfortunately, on what the media and others present rather than basing it on their own experience.

Maybe those of us with large breeds or those discriminated against should club together to place an ad in the national newspapers with "cute" pictures of our "monster" dogs.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I would not consider leaving my dogs in a house with other people`s children. Too risky IMO. So personally I think you`re well out of it.
Are there not proper companies where you live that have sitters?
Oh I agree totally Claire although Ben is excellent with kids and he seems to relaise they are small and easily knocked over etc he is so gentle and crawls commando style up to them then legs in the air for tummy tickles, I would not have contacted him to have Ben in his house had I known so all in all it is definitely a blessing but it still irritates me that he made the decision based on a breed
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Whilst I appreciate this guy has the right to decide which dogs he will or won't taken into his home for boarding, I think he is very narrow minded in that he won't even meet Ben (or any other individual dogs of breeds he considers a risk) and then make a decision.

I have a friend whose parents, in Edinburgh, home board. Would that be too far for you Lynne? I could enquire whether they have space etc if you are interested?

Failing that I would definitely look into the pet sitting option, which I feel must be the least upsetting in terms of routine etc for a dog. Have you parents refused to help?
Edinburgh would noyt necessarily be too far Kirsty its just more a hassle as we want to do the whole get to know them and them to get to know Ben so maybe things like them taking him for a walk a few times, then an overnignt stay then maybe a weekend etc building up to us actually going away...LOL I know I am a worrier but I wantto be 100% sure

My brother lives in Dundee so next time we talk I'll see if he knows anyone, not sure if he will because he's a cat person more than dogs but he might know of someone
Aw thank you for that

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh me me me!!!

You could understand if a boarder was scared of a certain breed but like Claire said - your dogs at more risk with what a child can do than what a dog full of teeth can do.
Obviously a person with children who invites a strange dog into their house is putting their dog more at risk with each dog.

Good luck finding a sitter or a good kennels
Aw thank you SLB, I wish you were nearer so you could meet Ben a few times as then it would be a real possibility. It seems after thinking about it thathe possibly thought this was a good idea and of course as Kirsty said he has everyright to decide which dog he will let in his house just annoys me he makes decisions based on media hype and badly made(IMO) opinions based on illinformed facts

Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
My uncles and grandparents had Staffies when I was growing up and they were fantastic around all the kids int eh family - myself included.

People base their opinions, unfortunately, on what the media and others present rather than basing it on their own experience.

Maybe those of us with large breeds or those discriminated against should club together to place an ad in the national newspapers with "cute" pictures of our "monster" dogs.
You might be on to something there
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
We are near Dundee. Ben is not very accepting of other dogs in house and most dogsey peeps have their own fur family
Oh and just to say, you never know! I visit my brother without my dogs (since it's an 8 hour trip, plus they'd eat his cat!) and as he's looking at moving in with his girlfriend, having somewhere else to stay would be handy so I didn't feel like I was invading on her privacy too. Unfortunately by next year, OH and I will probably be living on our own so won't have our live-in dog sitters (I live with my other brother and his girlfriend at the moment), so can't help you out personally. But you may find a Dogsey member who can make arrangements for their own dog(s) and may be happy to take a break and look after Ben. The only problem would be getting to know Ben beforehand I guess.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Aw thank you SLB, I wish you were nearer so you could meet Ben a few times as then it would be a real possibility. It seems after thinking about it thathe possibly thought this was a good idea and of course as Kirsty said he has everyright to decide which dog he will let in his house just annoys me he makes decisions based on media hype and badly made(IMO) opinions based on illinformed facts
Oh I wish I could too. He could even have come to my house as well if we were nearer. But alas lots of miles between us.

I know what you mean, people always encourage their children towards Louie but he's not good with children - he's terrified of the ones he doesn't know and I'd be upset if he bit one out of fear 'cos parents won't ask first!
Granted I don't have a staffy or a cross but when I walked my neighbours two rotties - in the street it was like parting the red sea...peaceful walk but they were lovely dogs.

*Sigh* People!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh I wish I could too. He could even have come to my house as well if we were nearer. But alas lots of miles between us.

I know what you mean, people always encourage their children towards Louie but he's not good with children - he's terrified of the ones he doesn't know and I'd be upset if he bit one out of fear 'cos parents won't ask first!
Granted I don't have a staffy or a cross but when I walked my neighbours two rotties - in the street it was like parting the red sea...peaceful walk but they were lovely dogs.

*Sigh* People!
Couldn't agree more
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Oh and just to say, you never know! I visit my brother without my dogs (since it's an 8 hour trip, plus they'd eat his cat!) and as he's looking at moving in with his girlfriend, having somewhere else to stay would be handy so I didn't feel like I was invading on her privacy too. Unfortunately by next year, OH and I will probably be living on our own so won't have our live-in dog sitters (I live with my other brother and his girlfriend at the moment), so can't help you out personally. But you may find a Dogsey member who can make arrangements for their own dog(s) and may be happy to take a break and look after Ben. The only problem would be getting to know Ben beforehand I guess.
You will have o give me a shout if you are in Dundee and if you are dogless you can get cuddles from Dangerous Ben!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >