Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2011, 10:25 AM
How sad and distressing for you.

I have in both cases listend to our vet regards our dogs health and they both were put to sleep wagging their tails and able to walk.. It is the hardest thing to do to send them on their way when you can see mentally they are well but physically they are failing and to this day 9 years on with with Max I still question if it was the right time and would he of had another week or two in him ? Of course deep down I know if he did he would of been in a lot pain and distressed. I am having the same feeling with regards to Ollie who we lost a month ago. I do deep down know it was right and that the vets in question know far more than I do and in each case although so different and different vets we listened to them and there thoughts on no more testing and the time was right.

I was guided by vets then and would be prepared to be in the future as hard as it was and is I know I didn't allow my dogs who I loved deeply to suffer.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the saying goes - better a week too early than a day too late.

Thanks for all your replies. I was choking back tears when I saw the dog today. I had to pull her up onto her feet as she could not get up. She then collapsed outside the door and had to be carried in. She looks frightened and it's awful to see.

I've contacted the owner to tell her I'm worried about her being left on her own.

The trouble is if she tries to get up to get a drink and cannot, the dog is going to be in a lot of distress. She is a walking skeleton and very weak. She has deteriorated rapidly since the other dog died and it is so so sad to see her like this. I think she is pining for her old friend and looks lost and bewildered.

I think quite possibly the owner is in denial and just not seeing it or perhaps just does not believe in euthanasia. It must be difficult as whether she makes the decision to have her pts or not she is going to lose her second dog very soon after her first.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2011, 06:12 PM
It is so sad. I really feel for you and the poor dog.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I've had a couple of clients that "don't believe in Euthanasia" and refuse to do so, even if the dog is suffering. If we don't have the owners consent, we can't do anything. That's the law. Its likely the owner that isn't seeing reality, not the vet. Vets in general see enough sickness to know when "it's time"
Spot on. There is nothing we can do. I have to say that there are some unscrupulous vets out there who keep an animal going for longer because of £££.

It must be really hard for you to watch this. I hope the owner sees sense soon.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I can't tell from the posts, has anyone actually raised the issue of pts with the owner? Is the vet giving the impression that things could get better?

Has anyone actually said "your dog is suffering, she is not going to get better. You need to consider if it would be kinder to have her put to sleep"

You say she is denial, maybe she is avoiding hearing the more 'subtle' hints the vet may be giving?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh this is truly awful what you're saying about this poor dog. What about the RSPCA (dare I mention them?!), because in all honestly, if the poor dog cannot get up to get a drink, then that comes under their criteria for stepping in doesn't it? A dog has to have shelter and water and in my mind, this dog hasn't got water??? Poor, poor thing. I don't like this woman one little bit!

In fact, I think if I had access to the dog which it sounds like you do??? Why not take it to a vet yourself, see what they think, and if they think it should be pts immediately, then let them do just that. Perhaps you shouuld go to a PDSA in case they land youu with the bill though? Don't all vets have to sign something like doctors do, saying they will never let an animal suffer in pain? Then you could tell the woman who owns it that whilst you were there, she was screaming out in pain, you couldn't stand to see her like that, so you rushed her straight to the vets? I don't know, but something should be done and you are in an ideal position to do it? I'd be taking matters into my own hands, but then that's me, I don't care about consequences at times like this. good luck.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Unless the lady concerned asks you to I would not take the dog to the vets without her knowledge and consent, even with the best of motives you should not be subversive. This lady's well being matters as well as her dog's and it is important that she is not told any untruths, even if well-intended. Say you would like to help and go with her to the vet, but it is not your dog and it sounds as if this lady is distressed and finding the whole thing very difficult. You could ring the vet beforehand and make him aware of the situation befoe you both take the dog in. If you can do that then it is possible that a mutual agreement can be reached as to the best thing to do, especially if the vet is completely honest, but I don't think it is right to take matters into your own hands.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I feel like I could do just that Helena but there's me getting irate with the vets and yet I am in a similar position where I have to act within the law and work ethics etc

I do think this is a welfare issue and will be speaking with the owner this evening as I am concerned that she could be left alone in the house unable to drink.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I feel like I could do just that Helena but there's me getting irate with the vets and yet I am in a similar position where I have to act within the law and work ethics etc

I do think this is a welfare issue and will be speaking with the owner this evening as I am concerned that she could be left alone in the house unable to drink.
I do think you have to let this lady know how seriously ill her dog is and that it is suffering, and she must put her dog's welfare before her own feelings. Perhaps if you persist and make sure that that there is no room for her misunderstanding or dismissing your concerns she will realise. Its a very sad situation, but I do hope that you can get through to her.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I think the saying goes - better a week too early than a day too late.

Thanks for all your replies. I was choking back tears when I saw the dog today. I had to pull her up onto her feet as she could not get up. She then collapsed outside the door and had to be carried in. She looks frightened and it's awful to see.

I've contacted the owner to tell her I'm worried about her being left on her own.

The trouble is if she tries to get up to get a drink and cannot, the dog is going to be in a lot of distress. She is a walking skeleton and very weak. She has deteriorated rapidly since the other dog died and it is so so sad to see her like this. I think she is pining for her old friend and looks lost and bewildered.

I think quite possibly the owner is in denial and just not seeing it or perhaps just does not believe in euthanasia. It must be difficult as whether she makes the decision to have her pts or not she is going to lose her second dog very soon after her first.
I take it you are a dog walker/home carer then? If so, do your clients sign a form saying that if needed you can seek vet treatment for their pet (I had to when we used a dog walker)? If so, then if the dog collapses or cannot get up you are in your rights to phone the vet and then contact the owner who may find the vet more forceful if they realise the situation.

When I worked at the vets we had a client with a Great Dane. The vet had been telling her for 6 months the dog really needed to be pts as it was in pain, suffering etc etc. When I left the surgery the dog was still alive. It was on massive doses of about ten drugs, never left the house, barely walked or moved about and hardly ate. The owner's excuse was she "wasn't ready" to let him go!

I hope this is sorted soon.

Ali x
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >