Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2005, 08:02 PM

tricks

following on from the thread with the video on... it got me thinking what tricks does everyones dog know?

Ziggie does the following (we're not the type to do clicker instead of watching tv or anything )

Right (right spin)
Left (left spin)
Wave (sweep one paw through the air from any position)
High five
Press (put pressure on something with a foot)
Touch (with nose)
Head (rest head on floor or nearest object)
Ashamed (tuck head under shoulder)
Stand up (on back feet)
Roll (over)
Legs (weaving through legs)
Under (under legs/body)
Over (over legs/body)
Round (go round me)
Rewind (go round me backwards/in reverse)
Back (walk backwards)
Creep (shuffle back in the down position)
Close (the drier door)
and he'll fetch a ball-ee, ring, bone, or teddy by name

Just realised he's a real clever little so-an-so

So come on what can everyone do? (please note the other dogs don't do all these but Ziggie as a kelpie is a born work-a-holic and isn't happy unless he's learning something new)

Hazel and co.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Hehe that's a pretty clever dog

Archie can

sit
down
wait/stay
heel
give paw
other paw
roll over
come front
turn around (sometimes)
get his toy

and he can find stuff too... oh and the new self taught one is he can open tupperware LOL
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2005, 08:23 PM
lol at the tupaware - thats a finely tuned skill that, did he just do it off pat or did he have to figure it out? Ziggie got hold of one once but couldn't open it for toffee - it was hilarious he threw a proper paddy because he couldn't do it so am i the mug for opening it for him
Hazel & co.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2005, 08:40 PM
he figured out how to do it pretty fast... it just takes him a while to get it open. I'm putting his kongs in tupperware so they last him longer while I'm out
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Well I feel quite inadequate now! My dog, despite being an intellectually superior border collie (joke) only knows the basics: sit, lie down, come here, give a paw, and put it down, beg, and get to bed.

It's never occured to me to teach her any tricks and I think she's too old now (11ish).
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Minda,
It's never to late you can teach an old dog new tricks and a clicker is a great way of doing it . When we first discovered clicker my old labrador spent hours just fine tuning some things and learning new things... it's a great way to spend quality time with an older dog that can't run as much as they used to
Most of these are really easy to teach and please don't be put of by Zigg's tricks as he has to learn them or goes spare out of boredom (he's a bit of a headcase ) sometimes I long for a dog that'll just chill out for a while, but it is a great way to bond with your dog
Hazel & co.
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi,
My Amy can do all the basics...sit,paw,down,leave,wait,stay etc but also has a few others

If i tell her to find the kids when we are out she will run up to them,sit in front of them & not let them move till i get there
Tell her "manners" & she will sit nice & calmly regardless what she is doing (plain sit doesnt always work )
She can also eat food from a fork

there is probably some more but cant think at hte moment

sarah