Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
samanthag
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2008, 10:49 PM

My dog keeps forgetting training after 2 minutes

I got a staffie x whippet some time ago and i am trying to train her but when i do she forgets it straight after it.

At the moment i am trying to train her the heel comand. She gets it when i tell her to heel but two seconds later she is pulling again. I have tried keeping meat in my hand and when she is walking next to me giving her it every few steps but she will just sit in front of me and when i move she just walks backwards.

It is not just with this command it is with every other one too. When we first got her, i dont think she had every been trained at all. She constantly chewed everything and did the toilet in the house. I fixed this problem by crating her and now i can at least sleep without worrying what she is up to.

Can anyone give me some training advice about this as i am at the end of my tether.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2008, 11:13 PM
i am a little confused, as first you said she pulls forward and then sits in front of you and then walks backwards. what do you mean walks backwards?
its sounds like you have 3 different issues going on there?
if she sits in front of you or walks backwards, is this not good?
as she then isnt pulling ahead?

are you concentrating on teaching her not to pull, or to walk to heel?
as they arent the same thing.
i would concentrate on the former.
this means if she sits or walks backwards, i would use that to your favour.
try walking slower to begin with. you might find that as she walks faster you are doing so as well - this increases both of your adrenalines.
also, if she pulls to end of lead, try stopping.
when she comes back to your side, treat her, and walk on again.
she should figure out to come back to you, but the first couple times you may have to lure her with the treat.
also, whilst treating her for being near your side, try different changes of direction.
if she stops and sniffs as well, reward this, as it calms her down.

i would also suggest you find a good local dog training class.
where do you live?

and what type, size, and style of treats are you using?
samanthag
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry for the confusion. What i meant was that she will constantly pull on the lead and i tried to teach her to stop by keeping bits of cooked ham in my hand and walking slowly forward, but as soon as she see's the meat she will sit in front of me. I try to ignore this by walking forward and she will walk backwards in front of me keeping her eye on the meat.

If i stop when she is pulling she will stop but keeping the lead tight. Like i said when i finally think she is getting it, and she walks to heel, she will just forget it within two minutes. She gets very excited when there is food involved and then she decides that training is over and she can do what she wants.

She is two years old and still her sit, paw and stay commands are all bad.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I had edited above, so there is extra info and questions.
But if she looks as she is going to sit in front of you, just suddenly move by changing direction.
Also, if she does sit in front of you, bring her to the side of you then walk on.
To do this get her to follow the hand with the treat. Move the hand slowly though.
As she is sitting in front of you, what should happen is that she walks back toward your left side and then does a half circle so she and you are both facing the same direction.
Then walk on giving her treats as she is moving with you.
Keep her moving with you at her side by giving her treats every couple of steps.
As she gets better, make treats less and steps more.
Keep changing direction and keep it slow.

I dont think she forgets it, you just both need better practice.
It does sound like you are trying to do lots of things all in one go.
I would recommend going back to basics a bit.
Where do you live?
Try this link for trainers;
http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:33 AM
I definately think APDT classes will be good for both of you. I wouldn't have thought that she forgets but either she was not clear about it in the first case, or the reward (for example: of pulling) is too great for her not to do it.

Teaching a dog not to pull can be very very difficult as there are so many interesting things about when they are walking and, usually, pulling gets them to the park quicker, and they get off lead.

You can get it eventually but it does take time and lots and lots of practise, e.g. go out everyday to practise. Each time she pulls, stand still instantly and guide her back to your side, say "heel" and start again. Initially you may get no where - or if you are lucky you may get a couple of paces before she starts pulling.

Don't worry, this is completely normal! It can be very tiring and frustrating though. As well as going to APDT classes near you i would reccomend you get a halti harness (not the head collar) for her, these have a loop on the chest which you attach the lead to and work really well in stopping them pulling. I have used it on my staff and she walked on a loose lead from the first day she wore it.

She is 9 months now, and with lots of practise, she can now walk on a loose lead, ....but can still forget, get too excited and want to pull occasionally. I still use the halti harness if we are going to have to walk some distance.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh i forgot to say that you can buy them at pets at home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I`d recommend you read The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. It`s really clear, and explains training in a very practical way.
I don`t teach heelwork (or rather, walking on a lead) like that.
I have the dog on a loose lead and keep changing direction so the dog learns to follow me. Reward or praise occasionally. If you can`t change direction (busy street for example, walk backwards. Yes people will think you`re nuts but WTH it works! It does take a long time though, particularly if the dog has got into the habit of leading the way.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Also be aware that if she is too focused on the food she will not be learning where to walk....I would work on breaking her focus from what she wants to pull towards - using a watch command or empty hand touch.
Remember every time you reward her you effectively end that exercise.

I like the principle of the halti harness but find the premier easy walks better made Personal choice
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Your dog is not forgetting, she either does not understand what it is you are training or she chooses to disobey, I would go with the first option, you have not taught her what it is you require when your say heel or back or what ever the command is that you use.

Try to break the exercise down to more simple sections till commands are understood, and never reward a half attempt wait till she tries again to get it right and try she will if she is not rewarded for getting it wrong. Give the command and wait calmly and quietly till the dog responds then give the reward and then if you wish another command.

For instance you say 'back' the dog slackens the pull on the lead, you say good and reward - you say heel and the dog moves to heel, you say good and reward - you say sit and the dog sits, good and reward. Eventually you will be able to say heel and she will return to heel and then if asked sit, it all takes time and to stop a dog pulling is probable the most difficult because their natural excitements makes them want to move at their speed and not at yours.

Try starting at home to teach the walk to heel, the dog will be less excited and you can use a trailing lead which is less tiring for you.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Remember every time you reward her you effectively end that exercise.

I like the principle of the halti harness but find the premier easy walks better made Personal choice
Very true tassle.

I really liked the premier but it didn't seem to suit Tonks, i think it might be because her chest is so deep. I bought one and was really please with it as it seemed sturdier and simpler to use, but the buckle for the belly strap sits right behind her elbow and rubs the skin sore.