Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Anyone got any tips on how to teach a dog fetch?? She's not interested in the ball or frisbee, however she gets quite active on walks and can really run when she wants (to chase birds in the park!)
Again, my most recent rescue had no idea about toys and wouldn't pick up a ball at all to start with. She did like things made of material though, so I started with a soft toy rather than a ball, encouraging her to chase it. Fetching it back was non-existant, but I wanted to concentrate on her having fun chasing it and picking it up, so I didn't make a big thing of her retrieving it. At first she was a bit 'funny' about giving it up - after all, she'd only just learnt she was allowed it and now I was trying to take it off her. But as she is very food orientated, I could easily swap it for a treat. An alternative would be to swap for another toy.

From soft toy we progressed to soft, material balls and then on to tennis balls, the fluffier the better - she is still not keen on rubber/vinyl toys and prefers more natural material. Rope toys are another possibility.

Once she was interested in the toys, ie happy to chase them and happy to let me take them off her, then I started on retrieve. She will do it about 50% of the time now (more if I have a really tasty treat to tempt her with ); she loves chasing it but just hasn't caught on that she needs to bring it to me for me to throw it and will often just go and hide it in the long grass

I have to say, this wasn't a fast process.

Depending on what breed or mix of breeds your dog is (sorry if you've said) it may make a difference to the type of toy she might like. For example, if she has sight hound in her, she might prefer 'small furry' looking toys, particularly if you can get them fast moving (e.g. tie them to to a rope and swing it round). gun dogs might well be more interested in the dummy type toys (not childs dummy, but specifically designed for gun dogs retrieval training).

But (sorry this is turning into a really long post!) it might be worth delaying introducing soft toys until she is well past her phantom as I think there is a reasonable chance that she might try to mother it rather than play with it.
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Hali some food for thought. She's a small terrier cross - about 6.5kg - I think poss JRT x wire-haired dachshund (quite long in the back and half wire-haired) or possibly some Border in there who knows. Good point about waiting for the phantom to be totally over before trying soft toys. She's on the last few days of meds now and then will be speyed in a few months. It'll be a while to teach her to play probably, I'll try and follow like you describe over the next weeks and months.

I've finally found something she likes to eat - dried liver worked a treat so I'm going to try and teach her 'sit' at the weekend. Yesterday on my day off we did 'heel' when walking to and from the park which went quite well, and she remembered it this morning, the lead was loose almost the entire time.

Thanks for ideas
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Sounds like you are doing really well with her
Just keep taking it slow

I also had a dog with no interest in toys
I found eventualy that he liked to tug
So we played tug - I taught him rules
then once he really got the hang of that I taught fetch the really lazy way

playing tug with his toy I asked him to 'give' a few times then one time I chucked it away
I was on my sofa watching TV
That ended the game
then one day he brought it back and we played some more

then after a while when I knew he would get it I put the word 'fetch' to the action

Outside I worked on it in a different way
He would chase the ball until it stopped but never bring it back
But then I realised he wasnt daft, he knew I was walking that way and would get the ball for him
So I chucked the ball and when he got to it I turned around and ran the other way
confused he grabbed the ball and ran after me
lots of praise once he brought it too me

Also when were were out and he knew how to fetch if he didnt bring it back I would go and get it and put it away
Game over if you dont give it back

But all these things are for the future
just keep on building the bond with her - she is gonna be a great dog
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Just thought I would post a quick update

Pixel has settled in really really well now, and is bonding more and more with my partner all the time. She's eating better and takes treats too now so we've started training basic commands, although she hasn't got 'sit' 'down' etc yet she's obedient in everyday things - like 'off' for get off the sofa, 'bed' for go to your bed, 'in' for come in from the garden, and has a pretty good recall when off-lead on walks. We've just had a busy weekend with visitors staying at the house and she was fine, not any sign of aggression towards them at all, I'm so pleased at how she did with strangers in the house. She's starting to learn to play too, I gave her a soft toy rat and she does play 'where's ratty?' a bit, although gives up quickly and just wants a cuddle instead!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Lovely news! well done!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2