View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I originally had Molly booked in for spaying and then she went into a late FP. They spayed her 1 week after that had finished or at least eased off, and I have had no problems since.
They needed to spay her because she kept having false pregnancies post season and also developed mammary lumps during her season!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 01:05 PM
this is how i found dogwebto start off with!!!!! We were told to wait until after her next season to get spayed as it can affect th hormones...just another 2.5 months to go....just hope she doesnt have another PP!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 04:42 PM
My vets won't spay during false pregnancies but will spay as soon as the symptoms have cleared up. One of my friends Great Dane that she bred was spayed by another practice during a false pregnancy & it almost a year for her to come right
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2005, 07:22 PM
oh no dont say its going to be a year!!i have read since that you shouldnt do it,but as neither of us were aaware of the false its a bit late nowi rescued her abd i had had her 9weeks when she went in(perfect timing!)ive just read the fact fiction post and now im doubly worried as she was/is showing slight dominance aggression,was toward me but ive done lots of ignoring and now she following me about!but she has decidedmy 5yr old is fair game!!we are currently doing the ignore again in the hope she will come right!!!
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2005, 07:29 PM
ok here is the info....she is approx 3.springer spaniel(working type)her last season was apparantly end of august,ive had her since early sept,she is a nervy type and hadnt been off the lead(as she didnt come back)she also ruled the house where she came from,she has always been grumpy but 1stly i thought it was fear aggression as she is very jumpy if you shout,move quikly,etc,very obviously been beaten at some point.she had come along in leaps and bounds,recall 100% better,sit,stay getting there.but the false preg started the day she came back from the vets!well the aggression did!!vet diagnosed it as a f/p.4days of galastop and she was better.i thought the f/p had finished only to discover when i got a ball out to play she whipped it and cuddled it in as she had before.this was few days ago.it is 3weeks today she was speyed....very sorry for the long!post thankyou
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by catsinc
oh no dont say its going to be a year!!i have read since that you shouldnt do it,but as neither of us were aaware of the false its a bit late nowi rescued her abd i had had her 9weeks when she went in(perfect timing!)ive just read the fact fiction post and now im doubly worried as she was/is showing slight dominance aggression,was toward me but ive done lots of ignoring and now she following me about!but she has decidedmy 5yr old is fair game!!we are currently doing the ignore again in the hope she will come right!!!
The Great Dane had terrible false pregancies by far the worse I have ever seen & she looked as if she had had a massive litter. I think this is why she took so long to get right again-mind you the same vet persuaded the owned to have two litters to stop the FP's which of course they didn't !

Don't beat yourself up about it what is done is done & I personally don't believe in the dominance over humans scenario as truly dominance dogs never actually do much to prove their dominance amoungst other dogs & dogs know humans are nt dogs so there is no reason for them to want to dominate a human, Aggression is in many cases a defence mechanism(especially in rescue dogs)so ignoring it is the right thing & don't forget to reward nice acceptable behaviour like retrieving a toy & giving it up for a treat etc
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by catsinc
ok here is the info....she is approx 3.springer spaniel(working type)her last season was apparantly end of august,ive had her since early sept,she is a nervy type and hadnt been off the lead(as she didnt come back)she also ruled the house where she came from,she has always been grumpy but 1stly i thought it was fear aggression as she is very jumpy if you shout,move quikly,etc,very obviously been beaten at some point.she had come along in leaps and bounds,recall 100% better,sit,stay getting there.but the false preg started the day she came back from the vets!well the aggression did!!vet diagnosed it as a f/p.4days of galastop and she was better.i thought the f/p had finished only to discover when i got a ball out to play she whipped it and cuddled it in as she had before.this was few days ago.it is 3weeks today she was speyed....very sorry for the long!post thankyou
Hi catsinc if the season was in August, had the bitch been mated that would have made her due to whelp in November around the time she was spayed . Although she was spayed the hormones would have already been active and influencing her behaviour causing the false pregnancy..

The earliest I would have spayed her would have been December (if I was not sure when her season started in August). That would allow 3 months min from the start of the season which is the preferred time for most vets and when a bitches cycle is at its least active.

Perhaps her behaviour may be partly due to your girl being in a new home and still a little unsure ..this coupled with the upset on being spayed could have made her feel less secure and more protective?

Having a bitch spayed does not normally alter the temperament, if she was grumpy before she will still be grumpy ..it is still early days for her and things should improve.

As I said earlier I would not encourage the posessive behavior, leave no toys with her, keep her busy

Next, when she has settled a little I would make sure she can 'give' and 'leave' also NILF may help her too click on link .

click
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2006, 10:28 PM
thankyou all for your advice sorry ive been so long in comin back!well the dominance thing stopped my daughter can now get her to do as she wishes,she still gets up and walks away from her if she doesnt want to be stroked but generally she rolls onto her back!6months on from getting floss she is a diff dog!settled not so nervous around visitors etc still ignores every dog whilst out on a walk!follows me everywhere she needs the occassional reminder as to exaclty who is the boss here but a happy doggie!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2