Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Anyone done Neighbourhood Watch?

I'm the new neighbourhood watch co-ordinator for our road, because I stupidly put myself forward the other night at the resident's association meeting, oh gawd!

Being an avid curtain twitcher/nosey parker, I told them this would be right up my street, although I have no idea what I'm supposed to do....yet! The treasurer, who just happens to be the person I meet every morning with the 5 gsd's, said he'd talk me through it all.

Although not officially initiated as of yet, I did start last night be rescuing my neighbour's two dogs who had managed to escape from her garden whilst she was out yesterday afternoon and were avidly chasing joggers going up the road. It's all open plan at the front of our houses, so I thought it best to tuck them safely away behind the back gate until she returned.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody has ever been involved in a neighbourhood watch scheme and have I stitched myself up here for a long haul, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it, especially with the power trip, let alone the fact that I can be nosey quite legitimately now!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
No idea what it involves. The lady across the road from us is our neighbourhood watch person. Her partner lets his dog mess on everyone's gardens (open plan) and basically anywhere else it wants to go. A guy from down the road came up the other week and threatened all sorts of nasty retribution (including landing him in hospital if the dog soiled on his garden again).

I'm pretty sure you'll make a far better coordinator than our lady
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks Chris! I already seem to have scared the neighbours, who have previously had an undesirable nickname, BUT, ever since our arrival, things have changed so dramatically with them, that none of the other residents can understand it, so of course, I'm flavour of the month with them all for the moment! One of my close neighbours said it's because they've sussed me out that I won't stand for it, either that or I'm some kind of witch and have put a spell on them, but long may it continue they said!

Apparently, I am in communication with the police on a weekly basis, they send me something or other via e-mail which I have to deal with by printing off and delivering to all the neighbours, so that's a good opportunity of meeting the rest of them who weren't at the meeting. Lovely bunch though, right up my street, Hyacinth would love it here!

Hopefully, it will keep me out of mischief and get me in on the local community which is what I wanted, coz I do like a chat!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
No idea what it will involve but would be interested to find out. We have used to have a few Farm Watch boards around here, and could probably do with some new ones, but don't actually know what the scheme involves.

Is it just keeping an eye on things in general?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes Kirsty, I think I have to report to a special number to the police if I see or hear anything suspiscious (they're gonna be extra busy then!!!!). Plus I get a special e-mail each week telling me of what's gone on not only in my road but also in the near vicinity, so this is going to be perfect for me isn't it! I think I have a special person to liaise with too at the local police station, so I shall be popping in there on a regular basis. They're gonna wish they hadn't asked aren't they!!!