View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Zeita is to be speyed within a week....what can I expect?

and I am panicking

She came into season first week in December, so its about the right time. Have spoken to the nurse as we were initially going to get her the injection to delay her next season as its due holiday time . She has convinced me that it's best for her to have it done now. So it seems she will be there within the week, just need to pick up the phone

I am so scared lol, she hates being left she even stressed out when I left her at my mums for 10 mins and she sees ehr everyday.

The nurse has said they will be using internal stitches, which sounds good

What do I need to be aware of post op?
Will she be in pain?
Am scared of her hurting herself as she is always jumping up
oh god......what a to do

heeellllpppp!!!! lol

Mel x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi Mel if Zeita is anything like Chloe your wouldn't know she has had an op by the day after, and she had the tiniest external scar (not like the old days when they were huge). I had to stop her leaping about . No pain killers were required and none given.

My vet gives a cocktail of drugs when spaying , both anaesthetics and pain killers including the drug Ketamine (the so called date rape drug). She insists the dogs stay overnight after the op so they can be monitored. Chloe was a little confused when I picked her up, I don't think she remembered anything about the op or anything to do with pain because of the drugs.

The drugs used these days are fantastic and most vets very experienced, spaying is after all the operation they are most familiar with because they do it so often.

I fed Chloe on a light diet for a couple of days and only took short walks as a precaution ,but she was absolutely fine and didn't bother about the wound at all so didn't need to wear a protective collar .

If Zeita was in season in December now is the best time to spay, mid season.
Mel try not to worry and keep busy while Zeita is gone and before you know it the op will be over and she will be back home with you.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
thats good to know Mini thanks
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Please keep us posted about how she gets on....I am looking at this in a few months with Poppy. she has never been away from home overnight before and never been away from me full stop!!!
This is worrying me leaving her at the vets and how Ben will be with her post op.
I'm sure she will be fine, although it's easy for me to say that....ask me in a few months when it's Poppy's turn

Elaine x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Please keep us posted about how she gets on....I am looking at this in a few months with Poppy. she has never been away from home overnight before and never been away from me full stop!!!
This is worrying me leaving her at the vets and how Ben will be with her post op.
I'm sure she will be fine, although it's easy for me to say that....ask me in a few months when it's Poppy's turn

Elaine x
my vets have said I can wait with her till the pre med has started to work and they will phone me when she is awake, Also if she is really creating they will phone me to collect her. She doesn't stay over night
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Nothing to add, Mel, just try not to worry. Zeita will be just fine, if a little sore. Recovery from spay is usually pretty fast, I've found.

x0x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
When Rio was done I was told she'd be ready to collect around 4pm but phone first just to check. At 1pm I had a call from the vet saying the op had gone very well and she was bright and alert etc. etc. I could hear her yodelling in the background, Dobies are very vocal dogs and Rio was more vocal than most as a youngster . I asked if it was her making all that racket and he said she's been at it for ages would you mind picking her up early.
I picked her up within 30 minutes and lively was an understatement. While I was opening the tailgate one handed she jumped straight past me and into the boot So lively has it's drawbacks. Rio had a dressing on over her stitches which she managed to keep on for a week. That was then replaced with a further dressing. We put a huge t-shirt on her knotted at the sides to make it fit, to stop her licking her wound but to be honest she wasn't interested in it at all. The only problem was keeping her relatively quiet and avoiding jumping and playfighting. I did sleep with her for the first few nights until it was obvious she wasn't remotely bothered by it.
tezziebear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Talk to the vet about the need for her to stay over-night. I think they like to do this to protect dogs from stupid owners and not people who understand the the care needs of a 'just operated on' dog. Lets face it, most vets don't have staff on all night. the best they would do would be to pop in once or twice for a check so she would be better off a home with you. Maybe you could convince the vet by promising you will bring her back for a check first thing next morning. Good luck...I'm sure your dog will suffer far less from this experience than your good self!!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
My Tiani (my 4lb Chi) just had her stitches out on Monday after her spay.

She sailed through the whole thing. Showed no signs of being in pain. Has a tiny scar about an inch long. Eating back to normal the following day. Didn't walk her for about a week, just little walks in the garden (she's not much of a walker anyway).

I literally lost nights of sleep over Tiani being spayed. I was terrified of the anaesthetic with her being so small and seeing her in pain after. Just a total waste of time and energy worrying, as there was simply no need at all.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Try not to worry but I know you will (we all do - we can't help ourselves ).