Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Should I stay loyal to one vet?

My pup is registered to the vet i used to go to with my rats- they are quite expensive but I like the vet and have never had any problems.

I'm due to get Vito neutered soon and have found out my vet is £60 more expensive that the closest vet to me. My friend uses this vet so I would be happy to go there, but i'd like to stick with the other vet thereafter.

Would this be frowned upon? He's only been at the vets for vaccinations so far so I suppose I could just change vets entirely, but I'd rather not.

what do you think?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 12:46 PM
if your happy with the vet you are currently with, I wouldnt shift for a one off opp for the diffrence of £60 tbh.

You may well find the other surgery is cheaper for that opp, but more expensive for every day other things so it may work out to be a more expensive option in the long run.

I wouldnt go for the opp then go back to your normal vet.

I had a massive crisis when I moved vet 5 years ago, I had been with my old vet since I had been 14 years old and had my first horse,

but the vet in the practice that I liked was getting on in years and was due to kick back and put his feet up.

I had a few problems with the other vets in the practice after that and decided to move,

im happy I did move, I have another vet that I trust and like, I wouldnt jump ship from him over £60, its so hard to find a vet your happy with.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2010, 12:52 PM
That's what I was thinking myself, 60 quid in the long run isn't a great deal, but my husband won't feel the same!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 12:52 PM
You can register with as many vets as you like. So if you want to get your dog nutered at one vets and stick with another for treatment its up to you. After all you pay the bill.
I personally wouldn't do it for a one off op but I am registered with the PAH vet as well as my own as they are open all day Sat and Sun should I need a vet then I will go there instead of paying emergency vets fees for a day time trip.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2010, 12:59 PM
It's my husband's friend dog who goes to the cheaper vet, so he knows its cheaper and doesn't get the fact i like our vet, he is more concerned with £££.

Thing is I know the vet i go to is expensive, we paid more for vaccinations that Gary did too. It's in the wealthiest part of the city so it's prices aren't competitive. When it was just my ratties i was taking it didn't really matter. Maybe in the long run I'd be better just changing entirely, but i get attatched to places. i've never changed doctors myself even since moving, as I am too attatched to my old one.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I chop and change. One vet is better for alternative stuff, one is great for price and one is good if it`s unusual as he`s got masses of experience. They have hundreds of clients so I doubt anyone`s going to bother if you go to another one occasionally.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I am registered with 2 vet surgeries....they are good at different things, and I like the option of being able to choose
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:24 PM
i think it depends on how much you like your vet, £60 is a lot of money (it is to me anyway).

i had been happy with my vets where i take jake, but now im not. so i am considering changing. but the one i will be changing to (if i do) is a lot more expensive. i dunno what to do either lol.

i think too many vets are just interested in the £££
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I think it all boils down to trust, if you trust your vet then stick with them. £60 is a lot of money, but imo, if you trust your vet and he knows you and your animals then stick with them, that's what I would do, although I can see your point about the difference in charges.

xxx
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I think it all boils down to trust, if you trust your vet then stick with them. £60 is a lot of money, but imo, if you trust your vet and he knows you and your animals then stick with them, that's what I would do, although I can see your point about the difference in charges.

xxx
She's only really met him for his vaccinations, so i guess now would be the best time to change if that's what I decide.

I do trust the vet I have just now, but that's not to say i wouldn't like the cheaper vet- she too was absolutely lovely on the phone.

Argh! I don't know what to do!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >