Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Help me choose a bridge camera?

I've got a little Nikon Coolpix 2200 compact camera which must be nearly 8 years old now and still going strong! I think it was about £99 new, and not the cheapest available then.

But it won't last forever, and as a belated 50th birthday present to myself, I want to spend my birthday money on something better.

I've always loved photography and for over 20 years had a Pentax ME Super which I loved to bits - and took photos with it that were published in a couple of books and magazines (and got paid for them too). Unfortunately when I stopped wearing contact lenses and had to wear specs, I discovered I couldn't get the focus right any more.

So I have always yearned for a DSLR, but now I have the money, they've come up with Bridge cameras and after talking to the guy in my local photography shop today, have decided that's probably what I should be aiming for... after years of a go-anywhere pocket-sized featherweight, I don't really want to be back toting round a tank and lens again Plus having once had a SLR stolen from my bag at a big event, I wouldn't exactly be able to afford to go out and replace a DSLR if it were lost, stolen or damaged.

It's going to be another Nikon - that's non-negotiable! - but which one?

Got it narrowed down to a few available models, just need some advice and a push in the right direction. Which of these would you recommend, if any?

L120 [Argos £129.99]. Good reviews everywhere, including here Have heard it is not good in low light conditions, and something about shake (not sure?)

L310 [Amazon £136.10]
Mixed reviews online, someone commented it has no viewfinder? That would be a severe disadvantage.

L810 [Argos 179.99] Not read any reviews on this one, do-able price-wise if it's a good 'un.

P510 [Argos £319.99] Rave reviews about it everywhere, but at that price, I could get a low-end DSLR instead, surely? And would take a long time to save up for a replacement should the worst happen.

Are there any others I may have missed?

I'm only interested in buying new, have had too many 2nd hand digicams die on me after only weeks.

Also, while I'm fairly committed to Nikon, is there a similar but better camera from someone else I should at least have a think about?

PS: As a huuuuuge incentive, if you help me choose quick, I could use it to get some action shots of Merlin at agility class on Friday, and upload them...
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
My husband has just brought this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...6704385&sr=8-1
He absolutely loves it. He's got a Cannon DSLR & various lenses but thinks this one takes better photos. He's only got one good eye & has to wear strong glasses but he thinks the view finder is good as well. He's persuaded two of his friends to buy it up to now & they are thrilled with it as well. He's very hard to please & is a perfectionist but loves this camera & hasnt used the Canon one since he brought this
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks Taffysmum, that's really helpful. Looks like a very good camera for the price, and while I like Nikon for the lens quality, I guess Leica will do!

Reviews look good - it's going on my shortlist. Thank you
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
My husband has just brought this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...6704385&sr=8-1
He absolutely loves it. He's got a Cannon DSLR & various lenses but thinks this one takes better photos. He's only got one good eye & has to wear strong glasses but he thinks the view finder is good as well. He's persuaded two of his friends to buy it up to now & they are thrilled with it as well. He's very hard to please & is a perfectionist but loves this camera & hasnt used the Canon one since he brought this
Thanks for the recommendation Taffsmum - my sister is looking at this exact camera
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I got the Nikon L120 for my birthday ..
My wife has used it a lot and likes it ...
She does play with the settling and had no issues in low light ..
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 11:30 PM
l120 is a very decent camera for the price.

I wouldn't dream of spending £300 on a bridge, may as well by an SLR if that's the money you are looking at spending.

I need to replace my kit, i wish i was looking in the hundreds, looking about 3.5k for mine. sob sob sob.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2012, 12:24 AM
This has turned into one of those property programmes on TV....

I've been shown the cosy little home well within my budget but may not have much room for expansion; discounted a few that had no wow factor; and finally got to the mystery house.

The mystery house seems to have everything going for it, and on paper is within budget - but it needs some vital extras which piles on the pounds.... camera case, spare battery/ies, special SD cards and so on.

You can't possibly keep a camera in good order without a case; if it doesn't take bog standard rechargeable AA's then of course it needs a spare batt; and while normal SD cards are ten a penny, the new fast and HD ones aren't, and I may not be able to use the ones I already have.

Food for thought.

I remember when buying my little Coolpix years ago, I also chose a blue leather Antler case for it at the same time which was an extra £12 in a total budget of £120, it seemed like extravagance then, but I doubt it would have lived so long if I hadn't.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Update: I wasn't able to find the Nikon L120 in stock anywhere (Argos lied!!!! the bounders!!!!) so a Lumix FZ48 will be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
so a Lumix FZ48 will be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully.
I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you will. This is Hubby's link to his Flickr so you can see some of his photos with it (Sorry most of them are Boats.& Trains )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634291@N08/
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you will. This is Hubby's link to his Flickr....
Thank you! lovely sharp pics, perhaps a little flat [sorry Taffsmum's OH!] but I might be able to adjust that once I get to know it.

I don't mind pics of boats, I used to live near Southampton so I've seen my fair share of container ships. Oh yes, and the QM2 on its maiden voyage!