View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Update. I now have a list of names and telephone numbers of all the people who are getting this sorted out for me [I think they are frightened of me now!] and I should hear first thing tomorrow morning when the techie will be here.

Starting from the beginning, I switched on the set yesterday evening for the news and all sorts of strange things happened, so I telephoned YES the satellite company thinking it was the decoder. After rather a long time on the phone with them they said they would send a techie first thing this morning.

No techie so I phoned them back, and they said OK, techie tomorrow, at which point I said ess oh dee it, I will change from YES satellite to HOT cable. Ten minutes later a YES techie arrived, and it was not the decoder it was the actual television set but he did not know why. Mind you he did try and even ignored Pereg getting in his way to see what he was doing.

So I panicked but then remembered I still had the original receipt [probably have the guarantee filed but the receipt was still under a fridge magnet...]

Anyhow, the result was the information that I posted earlier, that the set is still under the additional five year guarantee but I have to pay a nominal charge for a techie to come out. Of course if he cannot fix it there will then be more fishwife screaming from me, and believe me, you would not want to be the recipient of that!

Oh, and YES satellite company are going to give me 10 free "pay per" movies for staying with them and not changing to HOT cable!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a result
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
and YES satellite company are going to give me 10 free "pay per" movies for staying with them and not changing to HOT cable!
You can always tell when they are on the defensive when they start offering you freebies

From what you have written it sounds like it maybe some kind of software glitch and the techie (When / if he arrives ) should be able to sort that out for you.

Please keep us posted on developments
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Sounds like a result
Oh it will be, eventually, preferably sooner than later, mainly because I do not think any of them want me telephoning and acting the fishwife again! And also the fishwife screeching gives me a sore throat!

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
You can always tell when they are on the defensive when they start offering you freebies

From what you have written it sounds like it maybe some kind of software glitch and the techie (When / if he arrives ) should be able to sort that out for you.

Please keep us posted on developments
Something is wrong with the television set and either they can fix it or they cannot. It is probably something minor but of course the YES satellite techie could not sort it as it is the Toshiba television that has the problem.

Or something.

From what I can understand,electronics not being my "thing", there is a malfunction between the remote control of the television and the set itself. The television remote control is not normally used as once set up the remote control from the YES decoder does all the necessary functions, so the malfunction between the television remote control and the set has caused the blank-up with the decoder [I am trying to be polite].

I think.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
The production process and the QC measure in place for manufacture of TVs (and similar goods) mean that they are most likely to fail either in the first year or after ten - if it happnes within 1 to 10 then it's rare
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Hot Cable sounds very ADULT .. ...lol
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Hot Cable sounds very ADULT .. ...lol
Ahem there are a number of, ahem pay per channels on YES that are, ahem rather [too embarrassed to say it].

[I accidentally clicked on one once... ]

Television techie will be here on Sunday between 2.30pm-4.30pm to fix the problem. When I asked "what if he cannot fix it" I was told that or the set will be fixed or it will be replaced, as I still have the extra 5 years guarantee and just have to pay the nominal charge for the techie.

I think I need to stick my head in a bucket of cold water as this is getting too much for an ancient with a rapidly diminishing brain capacity.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
My last telly just died last year - It had been left to me from my grandparents and the recepit said it was got in 1984!!
Things dont last like they should!! I have to admit there was some interesting wiring solutions I had to do to get round the fact it didnt have scart - but I managed
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2012, 01:03 PM
When I lived at home in London, it was only because we painted the house they updated the TV/DVD/Music system.... Tv I think was bought when I was in the US, making it around 13-15 years old before it was gone. Still worked 100% though.

Now they have something like a 52" plasma
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I am not sure what happened to my previous television - I think it just died of old age. It was an extremely bulky object with a 29" screen, and seemed to take up most of the room.

So when I went to buy a new one - not in an electrical store but the electrical department of my favourite massive supermarket - and there were all these flat-screen sets on one of the walls, all showing some footie match or other - I think it was maybe a run up to the World Cup?

Malka sat on Tonto, blinked, pointed to one and said "I will have that one".

I also bought a little DVD player and to save me the delivery charge and then the connection charge I would have had to pay a YES techie, the manager of the electrical department - a charming young man named Sharon [yes it is a male name as well as a female name here] who I knew from previous purchases, delivered the television and the DVD player on his way home that evening, and conhookdid them all up.

It is not a mahoosive television, not even a plasma one - just a skinny 32" wide screen Toshiba LCD television which is now having hysterics and refusing to hold its menu and refusing to hold the YES satellite decoder menu. [That really sounds weird but that is the translation of what was explained to me by the YES techie].

Definitely time to stick my head in a bucket of cold water I think...
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >