Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-04-2012, 10:55 AM
What do you need it for?

If it's just for reading books - get a Kindle, it is much better as the screen is perfect for reading.

Otherwise, and you want an iPad, they are different to Laptops etc where you really want to buy the latest version - if you can afford it, and then just get as much ram as you can afford and whether you need 3G or just Wifi
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm a bit weird - I have a Dell Laptop, and an IPhone for work purposes.

For personal use, I have a Mac, an IPad2, and then rather than complete the circle, I took an Android smartphone rather than an IPhone

I pretty much only use the IPad for internet browsing and the Kindle app.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Hubby has an iPad, the one with just WiFi not 3G as hubby hates 3g.

I think he bought it on a whim really, as he loves gadgets. He is an applications developer so maybe he uses it for work for developing stuff. Our laptop is quite old and slow, so he also uses it for accessing the internet from the settee.
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-04-2012, 08:33 AM
It’s hard to explain how anti the church of Steve Jobs I was/still kind of am… but the iPad 3 is a fantastic piece of kit. I was getting frustrated with how heavy my OH’s laptop was and how poor the battery was. Then some friends came to stay and one had bought her iPad 2, we were looking at various things while sat around the table that evening and I was impressed at how easy it was to just pass it around like a piece of paper. It made it very easy looking at something together, no weighty laptop to pass over and turn around.

As I used our laptop 95% of the time for sofa internet surfing, I liked the idea of a lightweight device that we could pass between ourselves easily. I also wanted a nice remote control for the Sonos we have, and the app for it on the iPad is really good! So I bought it knowing about some of its annoyances, so my only thing I wanted it to do well was lightweight sofa surfing, and it’s brilliant for it. Anything else it did well was a bonus. My OH liked that that she got a nice [a social network] and WW app, and a few bits like that. I can’t comment on the [a social network] apps on it as I’ve taken myself off friendface.

I am still pretty anti Apple’s mentality of locking everything down, but the iPad itself is a great piece of kit. We haven’t taken the laptop out once since we’ve had it.

We got the 32gb wifi only version. My theory was that 99% of what I’d do on it would be within our wifi range, or our parents house wifi etc. So for the small amount of time that I may want to use it out and about, I would just tether it to my phone anyway, which already does 3g. Plus I couldn’t believe how much more a 3g version was, then on top of that the actual 3g contracts available too, the expense was too much compared to simply tethering it.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I have a 64gb 3G iPad, the first model ( which I queued for at 4am on release day ) and love it , wouldn't be without it.

I use it during the working day for managing my clients Twitter accounts as it's easier than switching pages on my Mac.

The rest of the time I use it for leisure, silly little games that keep me amused, browsing the internet etc. I have an iPad dock that I use and watch films or stuff on the BBC iPlayer when I'm ironing.

When I'm travelling I use it to watch movies or Tv series that I've downloaded.

I use a Kindle for reading, because although I have the Kindle app on my iPad the Kindle itself is a far superior reading experience and also has the advantage of being able to be read in direct sunlight, plus it's lighter.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I have opted for the wifi I pad2 and am loving it! Great for Dogsey apart from the new posts not working since the server move. Loving the tv options and the kindle/I book apps are fab....now I just needs handbag that fits it!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I now have a macbook pro, which OH bought me for my 21st- I love it compared to my old Dell laptop.

OH did have a an Ipad until he broke it. It was nice to use on the move, I also enjoyed playing fruit ninja on it

For mainly reading purposes though, I'd get a kindle.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
I now have a macbook pro, which OH bought me for my 21st- I love it compared to my old Dell laptop.

OH did have a an Ipad until he broke it. It was nice to use on the move, I also enjoyed playing fruit ninja on it

For mainly reading purposes though, I'd get a kindle.
IMO fruit ninja is a perfectly valid reason to get an iPad in it's own right! ha.
Mine gets a lot of use when i'm actually working, and when i'm not it gets a lot of use playing templerun/fruit ninja
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Baz and I bought the iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago.

We absolutely love it.

I use it for getting on here (when the new posts actually works), going onto the social network, reading emails, playing games - some of which both of us have become addicted to.

I also have a Kindle which I love for reading - I think the fact that I can hold it and turn the page with just a flex of my thumb is just brilliant.

Mind you, I was happily watching the Green Mile on it the other day using Sky on the Go. Now you can't do that on a Kindle
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Loving it.......I have even been converted am reading a digital book on I book when I always vowed paper was the only book I would read!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >