Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Howdy Foxy!

When you receive your modem etc-inside the box you will find a disc which will load all the broadband software on to your computer,but...

When i did mine,for some strange reason-something went wrong.I ended up ringing ntl and they led me through the process via phone and they gave me the access codes to download it from their site.
What you may have to do is remove the dial-up connection once the broadband is installed which is quite easy.Click on 'Tools' in your browser,then internet options-then 'connections'.Havent a clue if the broadband software automatically deletes the dial-up connection-so thought i'd let ya know what i had to do.

It will show your present method (dial-up) and all you do is click on 'remove'-then OK.
HAVE A LOOK BY ALL MEANS BUT DONT REMOVE IT AT THE MOMENT THOUGH OTHERWISE YOU WILL FIND NO ONE CAN TALK TO YOU HERE!!! I quite often go poking around the programming on this laptop and provided i dont do anything stupid like hit delete/remove etc-no harm comes!

I was given a new email with broadband and had to reconfigure my outlook express to the new address-which was also a bummer...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I have a wireless router, but I still connect to it using a wire, and our other PC connects to it using a wire too.
We just have the wireless option if we want the other computers in different rooms.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hi Leo, the laptop that we got this week is wireless ready already so that should be okay shouldn't it ?
It is proberly wireless enabled but you will still need the card that goes in
like this one

For all the pc's that you want on the network willl need wireless pci cards for them.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by leo
It is proberly wireless enabled but you will still need the card that goes in
like this one

For all the pc's that you want on the network willl need wireless pci cards for them.

Oh dear, more expense I'm beginning to wish we had just stuck to one computer now, it costs a fortune to go wireless doesn't it

I take it the card has to be inserted inside the laptop doesn't it? - I don't think we would be comfy about doing it ourselves so we will probably have to take it in a computer shop
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 09:35 AM
My Laptop has Intel Centrino already, so I didn't need to add anything, has your's got this?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 10:07 AM
I take it the card has to be inserted inside the laptop doesn't it?
Yes it does but the grey bit stays outside of the laptop once it's in then you leave it

I don't think we would be comfy about doing it ourselves so we will probably have to take it in a computer shop
All it is a flap on the side of your laptop just push it in then your done nothing complicated. It's as easy as putting a usb plug in it's socket.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
My Laptop has Intel Centrino already, so I didn't need to add anything, has your's got this?

Err :smt017 I don't know CC. How would I know if it had it or not, sorry I am hopeless with computers and computer programmes It's got intel pentium 4 but I don't suppose this is the same thing is it? Its got a programme on the all programs bit that mentions Ethernet or something
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 10:17 AM
What laptop have you got Foxy?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by leo
What laptop have you got Foxy?

Its a Toshiba A60-181 from PC World, Leo I think Fred has put all the specifications of my laptop from the PC World site on the other thread that I did - think it was the one that said 'Yet another laptop question' just below this thread
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes it's me again (I think Azz opened this thread just for me )

Well todays question is - we are going to get a router today and I was just thinking what does the router plug into - does it connect to a computer in any way and if it does how? The reason I ask is because as I have said in the past we only have one USB port in the main computer (which I will have to use for the broadband thingy that plugs into it when it arrives) and although we have got those extension things that give you 4 more ports they unfortunately won't work on my computer for some reason

Thanks for putting up with me asking all these questions

Just to add it will be a wireless router that we are getting (BT Voyager 2100)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >