View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 09:07 PM
The Kobo is similar to the Kindle but with the added bonus that it isn't locked into only displaying specific format books eg the Kindle books must be bought from the Kindle store. Kobo plays any format (except kindle books because they are protected). Have a look in the Kobo store, or WH Smith, I haven't had any problems getting books that I want, very wide variety It's easy to use, I'm very happy with it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post

I felt the same initially when my husband got one. Now I have one I actually find it easier to hold than books and it's not awkward trying to hold it right and not bend the spine, etc. It's light weight and so convenient, maybe when you've given it a go you might like it a little more.

Not a good start! I plugged the flaming thing into the laptop today to be asked for a Wifi password. Damned if I could remember it. Took me ages to figure out how to find the password (accompanied by the most shame-worthy cries of, "I hate, it, take it back! I can't do it!" ), by which time I could have read a nice paperback.

Reading is meant to be fun, isn't it? Not an exercise in technology. (Grumble, grumble!)

A glass of wine later (and deep breaths) I will try again.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Definitely try again. I bought a Kindle a couple of months ago (treat for myself after a couple of months of hard work) and LOVE it! I have read 41 books since then and I reckon I have only spent £10 as I have downloaded a lot of free books. I bought it so I always had instant access to books as I am quite a prolific reader and was always running out of things to read.

Can you imagine how much space 41 books would take up?! I do buy and read non-fiction books and still love the experience of reading "proper" books but for novels, it's perfect.

Helen
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Not a good start! I plugged the flaming thing into the laptop today to be asked for a Wifi password. Damned if I could remember it. Took me ages to figure out how to find the password (accompanied by the most shame-worthy cries of, "I hate, it, take it back! I can't do it!" ), by which time I could have read a nice paperback.

Reading is meant to be fun, isn't it? Not an exercise in technology. (Grumble, grumble!)

A glass of wine later (and deep breaths) I will try again.
The wifi password is often on the back of your broadband modem - least that's the trend these days. Otherwise give your broadband supplier a quick ring and they should tell you how to find it.

Don't give up - the Kindle is awesome!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Definitely try again. I bought a Kindle a couple of months ago (treat for myself after a couple of months of hard work) and LOVE it! I have read 41 books since then and I reckon I have only spent £10 as I have downloaded a lot of free books. I bought it so I always had instant access to books as I am quite a prolific reader and was always running out of things to read.

Can you imagine how much space 41 books would take up?! I do buy and read non-fiction books and still love the experience of reading "proper" books but for novels, it's perfect.

Helen
That was the plan, I think. I used to keep all my books but space became a premium and I got rid of loads but they keep-a-coming and sitting in piles.

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
The wifi password is often on the back of your broadband modem - least that's the trend these days. Otherwise give your broadband supplier a quick ring and they should tell you how to find it.

Don't give up - the Kindle is awesome!
Thanks Azz, I shall look (I had no idea! ). But I changed it to something I would remember! In the end I put in the IP address of the router and found the password under Wireless Security. I had to look up how to do it on the internet.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't give up Lucky Star! Now you've got it connected, just buy all your books when you're on your computer on Amazon and then when you turn on your Kindle, turn on wireless (and turn it off when you're finished to conserve battery life) and it'll download all the books! Done!
I'm loving mine Quite like the percent thing instead of page numbers as it gives a better idea how far through I am. I've changed my book list from most recent first to alphabetical as I find it so much easier to find the books Still loving it!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I have one.I very rarely watch tv and adore reading.It's handy when i've run out of books and the pro's for me are that it's easier to hold when reading and wipe clean as opposed to books,much cheaper too but in all honesty for me there's nothing quite like a book
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I hate it! I've downloaded The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection for 86p - which is fab! But I don't like it. No page numbers, no front cover to get excited about (unless I'm missing something obvious, which is highly likely! ). What about books with maps and diagrams in? And I usually remember the page number I was on (and/or insert a bookmark - no bookmarks with Kindle ). I know it will probably take a bit to get used to.

I am a book dinosaur. I read a book, "The Left Hand of God" (NOT a religious book lol) and it's more expensive on Kindle!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I hate it! I've downloaded The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection for 86p - which is fab! But I don't like it. No page numbers, no front cover to get excited about (unless I'm missing something obvious, which is highly likely! ). What about books with maps and diagrams in? And I usually remember the page number I was on (and/or insert a bookmark - no bookmarks with Kindle ). I know it will probably take a bit to get used to.

I am a book dinosaur. I read a book, "The Left Hand of God" (NOT a religious book lol) and it's more expensive on Kindle!
Oh hon, the Kindle remembers the page you were on, and will load diagrams etc just fine. Give it time.....

x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh hon, the Kindle remembers the page you were on, and will load diagrams etc just fine. Give it time.....

x
Does it? Okay, I'd better go and retrieve it from my daughter then and have another go.
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »