View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I've gone with the touch screen Kobo just before I went on holiday to New York. I love paperback books and it'll never replace books for me, but for travelling and commuting it comes in very handy I want the Harry Potter books to hurry up and come out in ebook format.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I got one for Christmas - since my mother, an utter technophobe who on more than one occasion has called me at 3am with such gems as "I've deleted the internet" can manage to work one - I think most people can!

Have raided the Amazon freebie chart dutifully, just been on Project Gutenberg and found the book of ghost stories our old Latin teacher used to read to us in quiet moments in class (proper Latin teacher, he had the leather elbow patches on his jacket and everything).

There's a way to get free newspapers onto it if you use the Callibre software set up to email them to your kindle and sync it automatically overnight each evening - haven't fiddled too much with that yet, but tempted to so I've got newspapers to read at work (main reason I wanted one was because I quite often find myself at a loose end on a lunchtime after I've done my marking and books take up so much space in my work bag).

Was tempted by "how to teach quantum physics to your dog" for 99p which promised to use it to explain why Layton can never catch a squirrel - but haven't succumbed yet. Only bought a couple of books and they were either Pratchetts I've not got round to reading in hardback format, or ones I want to re-read that have fallen apart completely in the editions we have!

Hubby's blaming them for ruining Christmas though - his go-to presents for his parents were always CDs or books - and this year they've bought themselves Kindles and iPods so he's been a bit stuck (his dad works away at sea for 4 months at a time so it saves him jamming his suitcase full of books to go away).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Jesus how did you manage to accrue 30,000 Nectar Points!!

Mainly via fuel, I have driven 34k miles in the year I have had my car.

I get lots of offers, and use my double points and get more when I stock up at Sainsburys, I generally buy stuff that keeps like washing powder, toilet cleaner, etc on my "'Spend x amount and get X amount of points".

Last time I got a Tom Tom for "free"
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Amazon are currently doing 12 days of Kindle - with lots of books for just 99p! >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=s9_dna...qid=1324999270

Like everyone else, I love mine! Go to bed with it every night lol
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I got one but not sure (ungrateful icon). I love my books and can't see me cuddling up with a piece of plastic. I'll give it a go.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I got one but not sure (ungrateful icon). I love my books and can't see me cuddling up with a piece of plastic. I'll give it a go.
Hehehe that's me, aint got one don't want one!

I love books, all books but especially new books.
They have a special smell, a special feel. That will never be replaced by a machine.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

They have a special smell, a special feel. That will never be replaced by a machine.
I know exactly what you mean.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:50 PM

That's me I threatened to divorce my hubby if I opened one on Christmas morning (still not 100% that wasn't tempting him ). It just doesn't appeal to me in any way.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I've gone with the touch screen Kobo just before I went on holiday to New York. I love paperback books and it'll never replace books for me, but for travelling and commuting it comes in very handy I want the Harry Potter books to hurry up and come out in ebook format.
What's the Kobo like to use? Can you get all the same books as the Kindle? It won't replace all books for me, but certainly useful!

Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I got one for Christmas - since my mother, an utter technophobe who on more than one occasion has called me at 3am with such gems as "I've deleted the internet" can manage to work one - I think most people can!

Hubby's blaming them for ruining Christmas though - his go-to presents for his parents were always CDs or books - and this year they've bought themselves Kindles and iPods so he's been a bit stuck (his dad works away at sea for 4 months at a time so it saves him jamming his suitcase full of books to go away).
I actually laughed out loud at the bolded bit, and told my hubbie - genius!
My husband knew I was getting one from my Dad, and bought me an Amazon voucher to spend in the Kindle store - maybe an alternative present idea?

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Mainly via fuel, I have driven 34k miles in the year I have had my car.

I get lots of offers, and use my double points and get more when I stock up at Sainsburys, I generally buy stuff that keeps like washing powder, toilet cleaner, etc on my "'Spend x amount and get X amount of points".

Last time I got a Tom Tom for "free"
Wow, a free Tom Tom, that's fabulous!

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I felt the same initially when my husband got one. Now I have one I actually find it easier to hold than books and it's not awkward trying to hold it right and not bend the spine, etc. It's light weight and so convenient, maybe when you've given it a go you might like it a little more.

Fair enough, each to their own I love the smell of books too, I love seeing a full bookshelf and seeing the titles people read, I find it really interesting.

Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
That's me I threatened to divorce my hubby if I opened one on Christmas morning (still not 100% that wasn't tempting him ). It just doesn't appeal to me in any way.
Fair enough
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:40 PM
My daughter got me a Kobo Vox for xmas , I love it , I can store all my books and read on the move, listen to my favourite music , connect to the net and catch up with my friends , it was a great pressie for me , I have loaded 50+ books already its so easy , they were mainly free and all classics , just doing some online browsing for some more of favourite books and sending this message from my Kobo , my daughter clearly knows me well as this was a perfect pressie !
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »