Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2008, 09:59 PM

not listening!

Charlie has turned 1 now and suddenly developed selective hearing.
He is very good with his commands at home or out with no distractions but as soon as he sees another dog his ears switch off!!
Any ideas on how I can get his attention back on me, even food treats don't work and he is a greedy dog!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Ahhh, there's nothing like the teenage years, glad mine are all past it!

Just hang in it will pass, but in the mean time make sure you don't let him think he's taken the place as top dog, he's testing his boundries at the moment so just make sure he knows where they lie. Maybe put him on a long line to prevent accidents if he is running after other dogs.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post

Just hang in it will pass, but in the mean time make sure you don't let him think he's taken the place as top dog, he's testing his boundries at the moment so just make sure he knows where they lie. Maybe put him on a long line to prevent accidents if he is running after other dogs.
couldn't have put it better myself................good luck xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Echo Randoms post, and definately pop him back on a long lead - it's the age
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by pam2 View Post
Charlie has turned 1 now and suddenly developed selective hearing.
He is very good with his commands at home or out with no distractions but as soon as he sees another dog his ears switch off!!
Any ideas on how I can get his attention back on me, even food treats don't work and he is a greedy dog!!
Welcome to my life!

Pepper's just turned 2 and I am starting to notice a definite improvement, but be prepared, this stage might pass quickly or you might be in it for a while.

The other thing is if you can find a special toy he loves, Pepper was initially completely uninterested in her toys if there were other dogs around but I have finally found a couple that help distract her. They are kept specially for the park so she doesn't get bored of them.

Good luck,

J
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I feel your pain. Ivan is definitely testing his boundaries. He is 20 months, entire and the stimulation of other dogs just overwhelms him. He is never let off lead. We are trying to teach him self control. Nothing will distract him, toys, treats you name it I've tried it. Definitely a test of my patience!!!! Hang in there xx
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post

I have to agree totally!!!!
One exeption mine started it at 8 months!
It sort of happen over night
he was always great off lead and with his commands and suddenly he just started ignoring me when he felt like, but it was worse when he saw other dogs, all he wanted to do is play with then and ignore me!
Well all I can say is.. Ive kept up his trainning and been consistant with the rules I set him!
He can be really stubborn but I just make sure that I am more stubborn then him!
Hes come on alot know but he still can have his naughty days...but I found the more stricter and clearer I am with what he is and isnt allowed to do the better he is!
Just be firm, consistant and with him and he should get the message!
Dont get me wrong he still has some really patience wearing days and I feel like I want to explode ...but I rember he is still a puppy and I need to show him and teach him whats right and wrong!
Live by the saying " say what you mean and mean what you say".
It will all work out in the end...Hope it helps...
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from. Dingo is going through this stage and I swear they think they're funny sometimes as well.

Heidi
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I know exactly where you're coming from. Dingo is going through this stage and I swear they think they're funny sometimes as well.

Heidi
...and convinced they're lovable! Pepper used to rush up to other dogs and squish down wiggling her bottom and then try to lick their muzzles, as if to say I'm such a cute puppy how can you not adore me? Funnily enough, much to her amazement. some of them didn't!

Hang in there, it does get better......eventually!

J
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
My eighteen month old bitch is very much the same...she every other animal should automatically be as friendly as she is....she'll go up to them all, roll on her back and tries to kiss them ...she even does it with my son's horses in the paddock...in fact. there's two of his horses in particular who are very affectionate with her.!
Although it's very amusing to see her acting like this, I'm afraid she acts deaf to any commands until she decides she wants to. I just try to carry on with her training as normal and live in hope she'll start responding to me again soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >