View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Lead or no lead ? (what to do when faced with potentially aggressive loose dog?)

My collie is reasonably well trained and under control when off the lead and I like to give her as much freedom as possible. Even so, in busy public places, parks etc. I tend to keep her on a long training lead. This is not for her benefit but in the knowledge that there are many people around who do not particularly like dogs and are often intimidated by one which is apparently running free. Not everyone seems to share my view and too often I am faced by loose dogs, sometimes large ones, over which the owner seems to have little or no influence. While these animals yap and snap the brainless owner usually says something like "He's only being friendly". I used to draw my own dog in close during these confrontations, a sort of protective instinct I suppose, but then I realized that it wasn't fair to restrict her when she was being threatened.
Now I give her the full length of the lead, or even slip it off to allow her to deal with the situation, which she does most effectively. Do you think this is the right way or is there a more sophisticated approach ?
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I guess it depends on what you mean by she deals with the situation most effectively.

I think I would personally be a little dismayed if an owner deliberately let their dog loose when a potential situation could be about to arise, though without understanding the full context of the situation, that's just a reaction based on what you wrote.

I think this way because in many cases as I witness them, and I've been in them myself, the other owner (with the problematic dog) can already be stressed and anxious over what may be about to happen. Not only do they realise that they can't control their own dog, but now they realise the other dog is loose. I think this causes panic responses in many owners and they give out the completely wrong signals to their dog in response to their own panic, and not in response to what that two dogs are actually signalling to each other.

I think it's vital to appreciate there are two ends to a dog leash and at both ends there are emotions and responses which need to be factored.

All that said, if what you do works, then can it really be wrong?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I tend to put tara back on her lead, purely because she can be aggressive with other dogs, but I have learnt that she is more agressive when on the lead. So I leave her lead extended rather than pull her in close to me.

One incident springs to mind, I was walking Tara across the road in a massive field, there was no one around and as I was about the let her off the lead (her recall is very good) three dogs appeared and stood around us, one went for tara's neck. I had a go at the owner...so I don't want to be a hypocrite, hence leaving tara on the lead.

But thats personal choice, if you know your dog won't go too far whilst sorting the situation, then I'd say whatever works best for you and your pooch!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I hate it when people will let a dog approach offlead if your dog is on a lead. I had it a lot with Takara when I was training her on a long lead and people let their dogs run up to Eddy when he's on a lead and he isn't good with other dogs.

I believe that if your dog is not aggressive, you shouldn't restrict it to a lead because they are then prevented from defending themselves against another dog and can become aggressive on a lead. However, that's just my opinion, and should a dog attack Takara I would call her to me (as she has recall) but not put her on a lead so that she could run should she need to.
I wouldn't however, let Ed off a lead, even though if another dog was attacking he would submit immediately, I wouldn't risk it with him.

You have to know your dog really and if you feel she's safer off lead, then let her go off, as long as she has adequate recall so that she won't run up to other onlead dogs.

Just my opinion
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2006, 08:10 PM
O.K GSDLover, I go along with much of what you say. No doubt we all agree that owners should not release if, as you put it, they can't control their dogs. I certainly don't want to inflame any situation but unfortunately we live in the real world and these people do exist as you yourself have seen. My dilema is this :- Given that I can't control the problematic dog, should I restrain my own dog and risk possible injury or should I allow her the freedom to protect herself which, although by no means an agressive animal, she is more than capable of doing if the need arises. My present thinking is that I should not deny her the right to defend but what I am looking for is a better way to defuse these difficult confrontations, if such exists.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Again, looking from the outside in, which is by no means the same as looking at each situation in context, could you not go for on-leash and simply let go of the leash, should you feel that your dog's life is in immediate danger. Though I have to say that even that would not be enough for me to do so. I would sooner keep my dog on the leash, and put myself between the two fighting dogs whilst retaining as much control of my dog as possible.

It's a horrible dilemma and I can think of fewer things worse than two dogs fighting. My hands have the ancient scars to remind me!

I always make a point of looking to the other owner to judge the situation before I react. I then react to how I see them acting, knowing that will usually be a good indicator of how their dog is going to be.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Personally when this has happened with any of my own dogs Ive always let go of the leash. If a loose dog is set on attacking your dog its going to do it anyway whether your dog is on or off leash but a lot of dogs while restricted to a leash knows its more vulnerable....as does the attacking dog so by letting go of the leash you give your own dog a better chance and in many cases (that Ive seen myself) the fight is difused or at least over a lot quicker with less injury....with the dogs and the owner.

Deterrants Ive carried with me over the years, baseball bats, a knife, pepper spray, small bag of pepper....once or twice Ive yelled at the attacking dog to 'back off'....and it has although that can be a bit risky and the dog could turn on you. One time I jumped on someones car roof to escape a loose dog, I had my whippet with me, picked her up and got on top of the car I was next to.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Again fair comment. One can generally read the situation from the attitude of the other owner and if they are genuinely concerned, as they often are, and doing all that they can to bring their dog under control, I try my best to help. Unfortunately there are those who make little effort or, in extreme cases even find it amusing. Presumably these individuals know their animals and take a cavalier attitude to others. As a final gesture I always give a warning before I release and this is sometimes enough. If not I feel that if my efforts have failed I must allow my dog to protect herself. These are diffucult situations from any point of view and fortunately don't occur too often, but at present I can't think of any other way to deal.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 12:40 PM
In general i use the same park daily for our walks and therfore know most of the dogs we're likely to meet,(which is reassureing)but we do have a few dogs that are not dog friendly ,and whos owners STILL let the off lead which is quite a worry ,so i've come to an agreement with myself ,that should these dogs ,attack gemma while shes on lead i will let her off to defend herself (as best she can ,shes not an agressive dog )but in the general as i said i dont usually have to worry ,but i agree it is a tricky situation ,and one i hope i never have to deal with .
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I would never put myself between two fighting dogs unless the situation wasn't going to sort itself.

I would always give my own dog the chance to defend herself even though I know she's not aggressive, she is pretty sensible and she has diffused a situation with another dog before simply by knowing when to back down and when not to.

The problem is, when you put yourself between two fighting dogs, it can inflame the situation and then not only does your dog have to protect itself but it also has to protect you (or so it thinks).

If you feel more comfortable walking her on a lead, why not just do as your doing and drop it when you feel she needs to sort things out herself? I think if you know your dog, you'll know if you can let her sort a situation out herself.

I would never restrict Takara should an aggressive dog come up to her, I'd see if she could settle it herself before intervening. However, I wouldn't let Eddy sort one out himself simply because I don't know him well enough and although he was offlead recently when a dog lunged for him and he immediatley backed down, I don't know him well enough yet to let him sort himself out!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >