View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Lead training (tips on getting an adult dog used to the lead?)

As some of you may have already heard I am picking up Lennon's mum on Saturday.

Maya, who is around 4 years old, is not lead trained and apparently screamed the first time she was tried on one (about 2 years ago), and as she's with a breeder she wasn't tried with one again (she is kennelled).

Obviously, she is going to be on a lead with me.

I'm going to treat her as you would a puppy with a lead, but as it's years since I had a puppy (1989) I can't remember if there are any little tricks I can use, apart from the obvious like little and often, in the house etc.

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks for your time.

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi Vicki she needs to learn lead = pleasure...
..put her lead on, put her dish of food down while you hold her letting her see you do this, walk a distance away, put her down and let her walk to the food on the lead.
Put the lead on, get another person to crouch down with a high value tipbit and call her while she walks to them on the lead praise/treat
With the lead on carry her a short distance from the house and let her walk back then lots of praise/treat
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks Mini - I'll be trying all those!
Solitaire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi Viki,

I am having problems with Dexter and a lead, he throws himself to the ground screaming and I had this problem with an older puppy years ago.

My solution was to buy a harness to get them used to walking, I also put a lead on so you are using two leads. When the screaming starts release the pressure on the lead and walk using the lead on the harness, when walking starts again go back to the normal lead. Also carry treats and when they walk on the normal lead, even a few steps give lots of praise and a treat. It takes time but it does work.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Solitaire - I have already got a harness which I intend to use - I certainly don't want to risk her slipping her collar!