Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2007, 10:21 PM

working GSD

Any help much appreciated!! I have an 8mth old working gsd - much different to the show bred shepherd thatim used to. Shes nuts!!! a lot smaller than a normal shepherd and different shape. i'd love to talk to anyone else that owns a working gsd!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't personally have a working GSD - mine is just a big cuddly teddy bear She is from obedience lines. However, my ex (who is a police dog instructor) has always had working line sheps. What is the breeding of your bitch? Which kennels did you get her from?

You will be in for a lot of hard work and will need patience, determination and ingenuity - however, she will repay you in bucket loads. I always thought the true working line GSD is more like a border collie - they are quick and highly intelligent (in learning bad as well as good!! ) and with limitless energy.

I always found they could be easily trained through the use of a toy reward. My ex's would die for their ball on a rope and seem to have an almost collie-like obsessiveness about it.

Would love to see some piccies of your girl.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by SuzanneGSD View Post
Any help much appreciated!! I have an 8mth old working gsd - much different to the show bred shepherd thatim used to. Shes nuts!!! a lot smaller than a normal shepherd and different shape. i'd love to talk to anyone else that owns a working gsd!!!
I've already replied to your other post re training/training clubs

I'm a bit surprised your bitch is smaller than the correct GSD My friend in Germany has working bred GSDs & hers are the correct size
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah she is tiny really !!
she is from shadowquest - they have cheshire display teamand bred for the police! she is more collie like though your right. she is about 20" to her shoulders!! but very long! my parets have litter brother who is a lot bigger, but hes male so would be. im hoping she will have last min growth spurts, shes only 8ths old. Sybil my gsd that i lost in nov was HUGE!! just like yours moobli!! and i think that in a few years i will go back to that type! although ebony is much stronger and healthier - cant win!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Ah she is from an English kennels & the parents won't be surveyed against the breed standard as happens with european working bred GSDs(well all GSDs in Europe) This is why there is the discrepency between siblings even though they have european bloodlines behind them.

If your bitch has Dux Von Burg Esch in her bloodlines he was an all black working bred import with top Schutzhund qualifications He was gorgeous I saw him in germany before he was imported
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I know this is an old post but, if you girl has Xamm in her this is the reason she could be on the small side, has been known to produce some very small powerful bitches, Dux produced some of the top working dogs in the uk,
Not sure where the collie type comes into workinglines ? lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by workinggsd View Post
I know this is an old post but, if you girl has Xamm in her this is the reason she could be on the small side, has been known to produce some very small powerful bitches, Dux produced some of the top working dogs in the uk,
Not sure where the collie type comes into workinglines ? lol
Is that Stuart Nye's Xamm?

re: the collie type comments. I was trying to describe how I found the working GSDs temperament. I personally have found them to have the same obsessive, keen and athletic comparisons of a working collie. Hard to explain but I know what I mean
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Is that Stuart Nye's Xamm?

re: the collie type comments. I was trying to describe how I found the working GSDs temperament. I personally have found them to have the same obsessive, keen and athletic comparisons of a working collie. Hard to explain but I know what I mean
Ok get what you mean now ,
Yes Stuarts Xamm, can be quite a difference in some litters,
Have you decided where you are getting you next pup from?
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Janet Ashford Latchetts GSD is in Scotland, lovely working dogs
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by workinggsd View Post
Ok get what you mean now ,
Yes Stuarts Xamm, can be quite a difference in some litters,
Have you decided where you are getting you next pup from?
I met Xamm and Xatoh and saw them work at Stuart's a few years back ... amazing dogs!

I will PM you the link to where my next pup is coming from
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >